How long should an adult dog sleep at night Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, May 4, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

How long should an adult dog sleep at night

Tikva used to want to get up and go out for a pee at anywhere from after 6am but would then happily go back into her crate so I could have another hour or so in bed - which could be up to 10am. Nice.

The last few days she has not stirred until 9-10am and I had been waking her but decided she would wake up herself when she wanted. But yesterday she did not stir until gone 10am - past her normal breakfast time - and yet in spite of dozing on the couch after her evening meal, she asked to go back to bed not longer after 10pm. And slept until gone 9am this morning.

There is nothing wrong with her - she is perfectly healthy B"H but seems to have her own inner circadian rhythm when dozing on the couch turns into "wanna go to bed". She wants to go to bed [in her crate] I am not going to argue with her but I wondered how many hours sleep at night was normal for an adult dog. I cannot compare Tikki with either Lexi or Pereg, nor with my Griffons years ago, but just wondered how many hours sleep at night was normal.

This is not counting her dozing during the day or after her supper. It is solid sleep at night in her crate, especially when she asks to go to bed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    From memory having adult dogs it sounds quite normal.
    She is clever enough to tell you what she wants and when she wants it, if it suits your routine I would leave her to sleep.
    When I was researching puppies before we got Yoji I was literally shocked by the amount of sleep dogs of all ages need.
    How old is she Juli ?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva will be 3 years old on about 15 May [they never knew] and has been with me since she was just three-weeks old. Much much too young but what do you do when it is "take her now" with the unspoken "or else". It was difficult to tell the actual dob as they did not know when the puppies were born - obese mama Dachshund, pappa Minpin, and they did not know she was pregnant.

Tikki dozes on and off during the day in between rushing about outside. After her supper she will do a rush around then zonk on the couch, asking to go out for a pee if she needs, then when it is bed times I tell her to go out for a pee. And she then wants me to unclip her tether so she can shoot through into the bedroom, waiting for me to unto her crate.

I do not think that she is clever Philippa - well yes, clever enough to make sure I do what she wants !
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    They do sleep an awful lot, Juli, so it's nothing to worry about.

Rosie has her burst of activity and then zonks. At night time, she tends to doze on the sofa most of the evening and still sleeps all night. She usually wakes my hubby about 8 am, but more out of routine than actual need to get up.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not exactly worried Chris, it is just sometimes that the little booga seems too good to be true. Or maybe she has just finally decided to fit in with me and my circadian rhythm.

But the number of times I have shone a torch on her during the night to make sure she is OK - the slightest noise from outside and I think maybe it is Tikki - but of course it is not. Tbh I think I am still on seizure watch, which I think you will understand.

I think maybe I am over protective/worried about her.

No doubt tomorrow the little booga will eep to wake me at the crack of dawn!
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    When my boys were teenagers they slept such a lot. Saying that they stayed up late and slept well into the day. I used to want to get them up, but, my friend said “ let sleeping dogs lie “ I suppose that says it all
    My friend has a Labrador and it seems to be fussing around all day, it tires me out just being at hers for a couple of hours, Yoji is a bit of a snoozer even at 16 months, I know which I would choose
    I’m sure you are right Juli, she will have you up in the morning bright and early !
    Early to bed for you....just in case
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not really know Philippa as my daughter came here to Israel to a boarding school when she was just 14½ - not my choice - and my son - I am not sure what to say about him.

Tikva always goes to bed around the same time, but usually does not sleep so late. I guess she sleeps as long as she wants to.