How often do dogs need to be cleaned/groomed? Grooming

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Schuh, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Schuh

Schuh New Member

Name:
    Sammi

How often do dogs need to be cleaned/groomed?

Hi guys,

I may or may not have mentioned :blush: that I am picking up Sabine, our rescue dog on Saturday.

I have a q for you about groming. How often and how?

I think she has quite short hair, she's certainly not as 'fluffy' as others I have seen. Maybe some of you can tell from her pics I don't know.

Now I have been advised to bathe her when I get her home to take the shelter 'smell' off her.

Trust me this is something I should video and put on youtube, I haven't a clue how that one is going to go :D

So how often do they need to be cleaned / groomed?

And how the blooming heck do I do it?

Thanks in advance

:mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I would put her in your bath and shower her down with some dog shampoo (or mild baby shampoo is just as good) (that is assuming you have a shower head over the bath?). Otherwise you could wash her down outside with jugs of warm water.

With the weather still not being particularly warm, I would then give her a really good towel down and dry her with your hairdryer (if she will allow it). Once she is dry, groom her through with a rake (to get out any dead undercoat) and then use something like a dandy brush for her top coat.

My GSDs are both longcoats and so need grooming on a very regular basis (every couple of days) but with a standard coat like Sabine is, she will probably only need a good brush once a week (and twice yearly she will blow her coat when she will need a more regular brush to get out all the dead hair) and a bath twice a year or so should do her :)
  4. Schuh

Schuh New Member

Name:
    Sammi
    Cool so I need two types of brush and some doggy shampoo.

Fortunately we do have a bath and shower head so i can at least close the bathroom door. What's the betting I end up more soaked than she does?

Thank you for the advice. :D