How to explain what you want... General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

How to explain what you want...

...when you have language problems. There are some words in Ivrit that I still forget, so when I telephone Avner to ask him to please get packs of frozen mixed vegetables for Tikva [and for me], I can never remember the word for "diced" so I say "choong, choong, choong". He does not understand English but he does understand what I mean by that, not that they are words either in Ivrit or English.

Yesterday evening Mikhaël [who also does not understand English] brought the usual two kilos of cut turkey necks and I asked if he could please get me some ox lung - but it comes in a massive lump which I have difficulty in cutting up into meal size portions for freezing. So I wanted to ask if he could put it through their mincer for me so I can easily form it into in patties and open freeze, only I could not explain the Ivrit for "mince" - it is another of those words that just does not stick in my brain.

Hand signs making out chopping and saying katan, katan katan [small, small, small] worked though. I hope.

There are just some words that my brain cannot remember, so how come I knew the word for screwdriver years before I could remember the word for brush? And I still, after all these years, sometimes have to think whether the word I want is for refrigerator or freezer.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!