How to Get Trained for Dog Grooming? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lovemybull, Feb 2, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    6JRT's and Azz like this.

How to Get Trained for Dog Grooming?

I am on a path to find steady income. Most of the retail jobs around here...heck most jobs in any field around here are part time. If they want to give you 8 hours one week and 20 the next they can. You're merely a number on a spreadsheet filling in hours.
    I got the idea of dog grooming. I know the downsides of cranky dogs and owners, being damp and fur covered much of the day. But I'm good with dogs and humans, even the cranky ones, I'm strong enough to lift a Mastiff almost my own size, don't mind physical discomfort.
    I've also noticed there is a call for experienced groomers around here...full time too, very inviting indeed. So where do I begin? There are training courses, but there are probably a bunch of fly by nights there too. I'd consider apprenticing for free at this point if it will get me somewhere.
    Open to any suggestions. Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    I'd say search online, apprentice, and go for something in home if possible.
    Around here in the last 2 year there seems to be a increase in a van or truck with a mobile wash station and a grooming station.
    Up side there water, and electric and no leasing cost for a building.
    Downside no walk in traffic, your gas.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think that if the area where you live has a reasonable number of dogs requiring regular grooming, it would be a great idea. My only concern is your comment

Is that "call for experienced groomers" from one of the training courses or is that a definite fact? If from the former I would look into their training course very carefully before parting with any money.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck! :)
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Opheila have you thought of opening a day care centre up ? by opening an day care centre you will have regular customers every day.
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Any grooming companies there that could do with a free helper? You could learn on the job then :D
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What about offering your bathing and grooming services to a non kill shelter, in return for some training in handling scissors and clippers? They must have lots of tangled rescues needing a little TLC, and it would not matter too much if you made a little mistake.
    I like the doggy day care idea too, or just a dog walking service. That is still an expanding market over here.
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Where we are people have already totally capitalized on day care and walking and they closed the only local shelter, the rescue groups have scrambled to do foster care. But the day care idea reminds me there is a doggy care center down the street. That might be a place to at least inquire...I've got to run an errand that direction, I could stop on the way...