How to stop my dog bombarding children (friendly) Training

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Barnaby0507, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Barnaby0507

Barnaby0507 New Member

Name:
    Oliver
    Azz likes this.

How to stop my dog bombarding children (friendly)

We have a flat coated retriever (14 months old), beautiful dog, very friendly, well trained and obedient in almost all aspects. We have a 4 year old and a 10 week old child, both of which he is very much used to and doesn't pay too much attention too. He is very calm when its just us around at home, the only boisterous behaviour is from us coming in from being out, but this calms fairly quickly. We have a nephew of 7 months (crawling etc) and other friends with small children. We don't like to host too much knowing that Barnaby, our flat coat, will bombard them, licking and not leave them alone. He can be very overwhelming to all guests, the children can't control him like an adult. When our 10 week old starts crawling, we fear he will be the same. How can we stop this behaviour around children? We don't want to lock him out as this will only in time teach him to associate negative feelings around children i.e.. when there's a child, I get locked out. Do we keep him on a lead at all time? Doesn't seem practical nor ideal. Please note, he is a very food driven dog which could work in our favour. We can distract him with treat balls but these only last so long. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think that I would use a baby gate until he learns to accept these visiting infants calmly. That way he can still see all that is taking place, and be reassured that he is not being excluded. He is still very young for a retriever, I'm sure that he will calm down in time.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Or an dog pen/room divider so the dog & children are in same room but not on top of each other x

NO A DOG CRATE BUT A OPEN TOP PEN X
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Photo's of open top dog pen / room divider
    63176.jpg 30_Heavy_Duty_Dog_Pen.jpg 679-2157_PI_TPS2081202.jpeg
    Pens can go to any shape you like
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You could try the self control game (Go wild and Freeze) its fun and helps teach your dog self-control as they learn to respond to your cues even when excited, there are many ways to play it but this is what I used to do.

Jump around acting excited on the spot to start with till he gets going too, after a minute or so, you suddenly stop moving’ at same time ask your dog to sit/down or freeze’ the moment he does it and looks at you start jumping around again, when your dog joins in stop, give whatever command you use reward and re-start. If he gets over exited and starts jumping up or mouthing just take as single step and freeze.

Gradually start to mix things up by varying what behaviour you ask for and how long you wait before re-starting.

When you finish the game i think a release word is important. I tend to use That’ll Do’ but use what suits you best. If you say the same word every time, he will learn that it signifies the end of play for now, ignore any attempts to reel you back in otherwise, he will forever pester you.
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    My Mastiff was pretty quick to learn he was not allowed to jump after the first few times I grabbed him by the collar and he was confined to the kitchen.
    He knows as long as he stays calm he can visit people who come visit.
    He learned a lot younger so it may take a little while but retrievers area a breed that wants to please.
  8. Barnaby0507

Barnaby0507 New Member

Name:
    Oliver
    Appreciate your comments, any advice is much appreciated. The dog pens sounds good but unless they are 6 feet high I can't see them being suitable for Barnaby. He can jump pretty high if he want's too and may end up knocking it over or causing himself damage. The freeze game sounds like fun, for me and Barnaby so I'll definitely give that a go. Good mental stimulation for him which is always beneficial. We have a conservatory we use for him when needed but he can see into our living room so can get frustrated. Maybe block the view and that may help. I think he will learn in time. Set the boundaries now or we'll end up making a rod for our own backs.
  9. Barnaby0507

Barnaby0507 New Member

Name:
    Oliver
    So we had a dog trainer come over last night and we are changing a few things in the way we train Barnaby. For a start we were told to cut out the treats when he was being good or doing what we asked? Seems a bit odd but I can sort of see why as Barnaby is such a highly food driven dog that he'd do anything for food and treats. The logic behind it being we want him to do all the commands he knows without the incentive of food. Makes sense. He has certain places he can and can't go in the house. He has an arm chair he can use for example. When he climbs up now, we have to tell him to get down with a firm, deep 'No'. Do this untill he lays somewhere else. When he does, invite him up ourselves, reinforcing the pack leader status. This rule is carried out anywhere i.e. coming into the kitchen, only when invited etc. We were told as soon as he truly learns his place in the pack, his over excited behaviour should be more easy to control. Time will tell and I'll keep you posted.
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    My two are doing a modified Basic Obedience course for Police Dogs where no treats are allowed. They're rewarded with praise and quick massage on the neck or between their ears. The reasoning behind this method of training is that Police dogs have to be impervious to outside distractions such as food, other dogs, people, noises or anything else that's going on around them. It teaches them to listen and watch their handler and only obey their commands.

I'd never used treats before in training, in fact I'd never heard of them until about 18 months ago when Georgina was partially sighted and I had to find ways of training her and smelly treats stuck in front of her nose proved to be really useful!
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Most dogs can clear a dog gate or pen, My Dobermanns would have sailed over without batting an eyelid, my Staffie can clear the dog gate with ease but you train them not to. Living with a dog should not be a free for all or a battle, it should be a pleasure and training should start the minute they come home, the longer you leave it the harder it is. As for the armchair is it his designated space? If so you should let him sit there whenever he wants, dogs need a bed, basket, chair, blanket whatever where they can go for some peace knowing they won't be removed.
    Your trainer, your choice but the ideas are extremely out of date tbh.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Most if not all reputable behaviorists/trainers now will agree that pack theory is outdated, i never did follow the pack leader idea and my dogs have been well behaved lovely dogs of which I am proud of, some have been strong willed but with time and patience were always well trained and listened to me and we have/had a good relationship, so that to me says it all.
    Yes dogs need to know what the boundaries are but personally i couldn't give a monkeys if my dogs eat first or go through doors before me as long as they are happy and well behaved that's good enough for me.
    Quote He has an arm chair he can use for example. When he climbs up now, we have to tell him to get down with a firm, deep 'No'. Do this untill he lays somewhere else. When he does, invite him up ourselves, reinforcing the pack leader status.

If the armchair is his space why should he need permission to use it ?
  13. Barnaby0507

Barnaby0507 New Member

Name:
    Oliver
    I do agree with all of you comments. I wondered why he should be told to get down when it is his space after all. I will continue with the trainer we have for a while, see how we as owners and Barnaby gets on. If it all seems to be going nowhere or a little bit dated as you say then I will go elsewhere. As a whole he is really very good. The only thing we want to improve on is his excited and hectic behaviour when people arrive or the doorbell goes. It only takes him 5 or so mins to calm down and 10 to chill somewhere again, most of the time. Having other dogs round is a different matter. Considering the age and breed it's not that bad, we are just keen to train and seek others advice.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What advice did the trainer give you to help with this ?
  15. Barnaby0507

Barnaby0507 New Member

Name:
    Oliver
    Basically to reinforce his place in the pack (dated I know), and in time our commands will become instant and he will know how to react and behave accordingly. I'm definitely going to try the freeze game you previously mentioned as I think that could help a lot with this kind of situation.