My French Bulldog has been diagnosed with hydrocephalus Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Faylenny, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny

My French Bulldog has been diagnosed with hydrocephalus

hi I’m new here and not sure if I’m posting this in the right place. My little puppy Lenny had 2 seizures in July and yesterday after an mri got diagnosed with hydrocephalus, the neurologist has sent me away to think about the next steps, either meds or inserting a shunt. Apart from the seizures for now lennys no other symptoms. Has anyone had any experience with this, obviously I want what’s best for him but any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello - after having lived with an idiopathic epileptic wubble for four years, having had her first Grand Mal seizure when she was 2 years and 3 months old, so was treated with medication.

But - if your puppy has been diagnosed with hydrocephalus at such a young age, then from what I learned during Pereg's far too short life, I do not think medication alone will help. A shunt might help but depending on your bubbies age and why Lenny was born with hydrocephalus there is no way I would go that way.

I loved Pereg [she is in my avatar] but I loved her for who she was, epi or not. I also knew when the medications no longer helped.
  4. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny
    Thank you for your reply. Lenny is 16 weeks old we all love him so much, I’m still shocked he’s got it cos he’s perfect in every way except for the seizures that night, he’s been on epilepsy tablets since them so hasn’t had any more and yesterday he started on anti inflammatory tablets. I’ve never experienced anything like this and know no one who has. I feel lost, the neurologist seemed hopeful about a shunt but then I’ve read some horror stories. I’m gonna have a long think but we’re all in love with him, I just feel like I’ve got to try the shunt. Thank you
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lenny is such a baby - you will hear horror stories from here, there and everywhere, and I am not sure how much you will accept my advice and suggestions. Or trust me. And why your vet has put Lenny on anti inflammatory tablets is a puzzle as they will not help epilepsy. Putting him on epilepsy tablets [Prednisone?] will be processed through his liver and will be for life and need other medication to counter that. If you tell me the other meds I can maybe help you more.

He will also require three-monthly blood tests. For life.

Your beloved bubbie could have been born with epilepsy, in which case I hope his dam never breeds again. So either he was born with it, or had brain damage during birth - or was dropped/hurt after birth - I do not know how to say this - but rough handling by young children can cause brain damage in small puppies.

My Pereg was of unknown origin from a rescued pregnant mutt of no known origin so there was no way of knowing where her epilepsy came from. It just did - idiopathic - no known origin. But she was 2 years and 3 months old when The Monster came calling and there are no children in my home. Idiopathic Epilepsy. Epilepsy of no known origin.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The fact that you have already seen a neurologist, and had scans, suggests that Lennie is insured. If so, there is a lot to be said for aiming for a permanent cure this insurance year, as the companies are well known for placing exclusions on policies at the time of renewal.
    Hydrocephalus is more common in the smaller brachycephalic breeds, - those which have short noses - and appears to be congenital ie. the defect in the brain is present at birth. If you haven't already done so, you should notify the breeder that Lennie has this condition.
    Have you been busy on Google? I found what appears to be a very good article titled, Water on the Brain in Dogs, on PetMD. https://m.petmd.com. I also think it may be a good idea to contact the Breed Health Co-ordinator for the French Bulldog Club. Are you in GB? If so, www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk is the way to contact people who are likely to have first hand knowledge of the condition. Health matters are high on the list of FB concerns at present, if you can't find that person on the site, the secretary will point you in the right direction.
    Best wishes, I do hope you and little Lennie solve this problem soon. Please come back and let us know what you have decided.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole - there is no cure for epilepsy, whatever caused it, and whether little Lennie is currently insured the insurance company will not be obliged to insure him next year once they know he is epileptic.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Faylenny like this.
    The original post did not lead me to believe that Lenny has been diagnosed as an epileptic puppy. He has a brain malformation which has led to hydrocephalus, and I understand that is what has led to the two seizures. I doubt that the neurologist would have advised a shunt for epilepsy in a 16 week old puppy, and he has got the MRI scan to refer to.

I know you have considerable experience with epilepsy, but there can be other conditions which cause seizures, - febrile teething fits for example. I once had a six year old Cavalier who had a single seizure, in her case the cause turned out to be malabsorbtion of fats. I am not offering veterinary advice, just my opinion.
  9. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you for your opinions I do appreciate them all. Epilepsy has been ruled out and he’s been diagnosed with hydrocephalus which he was born with, I’ve been given some time to think it over, he is insured and thankfully if I go ahead with the op 90% is covered with insurance. I’m still in shock, I’ve never put anything on a forum before and was maybe hoping someone had had the same experiences, even vets have different advice it can be so frustrating. I’m going to keep researching and speak to the neurologist again on Monday to discuss the operation, yesterday was a blur and a lot to take in. I am in the uk the vets where I was referred to was 3 hours away. That’s the nearest one to me. I’m sorry if I sound stupid about all this I just feel out ov my depth at the minute. Thank you.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Faylenny likes this.
    Why would a 16 week old puppy be given anti-epilectic medication after just two seizures if he is not epileptic? Do you know what damage they can do? And why would a neurologist put such a young puppy through an MRI?

Your lovely puppy, your choice. I wish him all the best. And you.

Juli - my beloved epi Pereg, and my little Tikva :)
  11. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny
    He needed the mri to determine why he had the seizures because other than them he’s been completely healthy, he’s on a low dose of phenoleptil and has had regular blood tests to monitor it. I was just looking to see if anyone had been through it. I know what damage the tablets can do but after lennys seizure he didn’t recover well then had another a couple of hours later but now I know it’s the hydro that caused it. Thank u for replying to me.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You don't sound at all stupid, and Lenny is such a baby, I can quite understand how shocked and confused you must feel. Thank goodness you had insurance!
    Best wishes to you both, and once again, do let us have an update - we'll be sitting here with our fingers firmly crossed for the little chap.
  13. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny
    I’m
    aw thank you so much, people have been so kind. I’ve been discussing it all day, apart from the 2 seizures lennys not yet showing any other signs of hydro, so I’m goin to go ahead and get the shunt fitted and see how he gets on. We love him too much not to try everything. I will let you no and once again thank you so much for replying xx
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is what I do not understand. Being referred to a neurologist and then given an MRI at just 16 weeks and then dosed with Pheno? What dose? How much does he weigh?

I am sorry but something just does not sound right to me for such a young puppa.
  15. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny
    He’s got fluid on his brain and that’s what caused the seizures, the tablets are until he gets the shunt fitted to drain the fluid n relieve pressure. I’ve been to see some people who have been through the same thing, it’s all neurological xx
  16. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Faylenny and CaroleC like this.
    The only experience I have of Hydro is that my Ex Partner has it and I learnt a lot about it (in human form) from her. It can be scary, but the professionals know what they are doing, trust in them.
    @CaroleC and @Malka know i'm not having a go at them when i say this, because they have been the scource of much sensible advice for myself and my little man, that Googling symptoms is never a good idea unless you want to be scared out of your wits from reading horror stories about people who things went wrong for.

From Myself and Mr Bronson, we wish you and your little man all the best and hope everything works out fine. Keep us updated.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Faylenny likes this.
    I have no experience of it at all, but if it were my dog, I'd go with the shunt as it appears that this is the best form of treatment for a dog who isn't showing signs of brain damage.

Even if it backfired and didn't work out, I'd know that at least we'd tried everything possible.

Of course, that's just my personal take on it based on gut instinct rather than experience.
  18. Faylenny

Faylenny New Member

Name:
    Lenny
    Thank you for replies. I will keep you all updated for now lennys doin great still, no more seizures. He’s fine on the medication too thank god so the neurologist suggested waiting a few more weeks before inserting the shunt because he’s doin so well. She’s so shocked at how he is he’s so clever (but naughty ha ha) but the shunt can have awful complications so hopefully he can put some more weight on and obviously be older before going through it, I’m dreading it but I know it’s for the best. He’s snoring like a full grown pig now ha xx
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Faylenny likes this.
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad Lenny is doing so well.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Faylenny likes this.
    Fingers crossed that Lenny gains weight and goes through the shunt with no problems.