Hyperactivity Behaviour

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by starfishbichon, Jan 22, 2018.

1. starfishbichon

starfishbichon New Member

Name:
    Alana

Hyperactivity

Hello,
    We have a 1 year old male bichon and we’re having problems with him being hyperactive to the point where I cannot play with my own kids because he is interfering. My husband and I aren’t even able to watch tv together on the couch at night because he is constantly jumping on and off the couch, chewing things, crying to go outside every 5 minutes even though he’s already been out a million times, and doing anything else in his power to make sure we are engaging him and not relaxing. If we try to ignore him, he will furiously bark and cry which we can’t have, because this is going on at 10pm when our kids are asleep. When we finally crate him for bed, he barks and cries. Nothing seems to tire him out...not doggy daycare, not walks, not a run through the backyard. I am exhausted and I know bichons can live a very long time. I don’t think I can do this for the next 15 years. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have also tried over the counter calming chews and the vet even gave him Xanax. Nothing has helped. He is taking away too much time from my kids. It was supposed to be the other way around. I’m not sure what to do with him.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Bichons do have the reputation for being high energy dogs, and many owners love to see them having their evening Zoomies! However, your boy does seem to be taking it up a level, as if he is as bad as you describe, you really need to pin down the possible reason/s for his behaviour.
    How regular is his exercise? Dogs do tend to get bored with their own back gardens, and walking, sniffing and playing in different areas will always tire them more than mooching around in their own space. How often does he attend daycare? Does he enjoy the company of the other dogs, or just demand attention from his carer? Has he been to any training classes? Progressive training can help a dog to develop impulse control.
    Have you tried getting your boy to engage his brain more? This can be even more tiring than physical activity, and depending on the age of your children, there would be the opportunity for them being involved in games such as tracking each other, - or searching for treats or toys - which can be done either in the house or outdoors. There are lots of tricks that you could teach your boy, allowing him to earn a portion of his daily ration in rewards. Dog trick books are available, also quite a few puzzle toys for dogs, where he would have to work out how to discover a treat.
    If you have already tried some of these methods without any improvement, I would ask your vet to do a blood/urine profile to rule out raised thyroid levels, or any other physical reason for his hyperactivity.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I was just wondering what your vet had to think about possible medical causes, and what your breeder thought - has any of his siblings shown such extreme hyperactivity,
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    ? I didn't write lowered. That would have the opposite effect.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry about that - my mistake. :oops:
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    Another consideration (as well as the training tips you've been given) is the food you are giving him. High protein foods full of sugars, gluten etc do have a habit of coming out as constantly on the go dogs. It may not be the case with your boy, but just something else to look at