I am flooded General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

I am flooded

Both outside and inside. Heavy storms, rain, thunder - more rain and yet more rain. My patio is flooded up to within a couple of centimetres from coming in under the door [it is already nearly over the low doorstep] because the gap which drains it is blocked with mud [I knew the drainage ditch alongside the wall of the bungalow from the gap to the back was not dug properly when the yards were cleared last time]. Because the bungalow is set low down rain pours down from the pavement so it is not just the rain on the patio - also we do not have gutters and down pipes so it spews off the roof. The ground at the back is lower so water runs off. And the sewers cannot cope so dirty water has come up from the shower drain in the shower/loo room so that room is flooded, and no water will go down the hand-basin in the hallway outside that room, or in the kitchen sink.

But, as the bungalow is on [slightly] sloping ground, the ensuite is OK for the loo and hand-basin. There is no hot water so no shower so one less thing to worry about and all three drain down into a different sewage system so should be OK - the land at the back being that much lower and more sloping downwards so a better run-off. As I have no outside lights at the back I cannot see if there is any standing water there - the nearest lights being from the main N/S road way way past the agricultural fields.

I moved into this bungalow on 22 November 2000 and that winter the whole bungalow was flooded up to within 10cm of my bedroom doorway, the only room which had escaped - and I had to wade through the whole place to get to my bedroom or from there to the loo [I only had the ensuite built only a few years ago]. I also only had Lexi who was little and easy to carry. After that, all the sewers were replaced, yet here we are again, 18 years later, and again they cannot cope. Tikva wanted to go out for a pee about half an hour ago - and ended up in muddy yucky water nearly up to her shoulders, and could not get back in quick enough. There is a puppy pad in the salon which she will poo on if necessary, but she will not pee on it. So if she cannot get out to pee she will go through to the back room as far as her tether will let her, and pee on the floor. Nothing that a mop cannot cope with.

If it does not rain overnight the flooding should slowly go down but the forecast does not look promising. :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Oh Juli. How much more do you have to cope with?

Keep safe and warm girl. xxx
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I echo Chris. I really don't know how you cope. I am sooo angry at your so-called social worker.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris, Carole, I cope with what I have to cope with. I have no choice, do I.

I feel sorry for people who live lower down than I do - the bungalow I lived in before this one was set down so low without even a low doorstep into it, so every time it rained it came in under the front door. And a couple of times water came up through the shower drain and flooded the back part of the bungalow, although the latter was not due to rain but her next door blocking the drain that served both her place and mine by putting all sorts of stuff down the loo. She was a bit... umm... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, no sight nor sound of my so-called social worker, not that she could do anything about this latest problem. It is rather cold now so I have layered up as I need to get the filters on the a/c units cleaned before I put any heat on. And I still have not been able to get the duvet on my bed.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The flooding in the shower/loo room has drained, leaving about 2cm of semi-solid sandy mud on the floor so I cannot get to the loo unless I want to risk slipping and falling. I have no idea how I am going to get that floor cleaned unless Nir has some bright ideas.

Outside? Partially drained but the drained areas are thick, liquid mud. Tikki got very muddy when she squatted to pee when I let her out when we surfaced - she was desperate so did not even try to get up to the ramp to look for somewhere to pee... managed to get through the mud to the ramp and looked for somewhere to poo... and down came the rain so she flew back indoors, leaving muddy pawprints all over the carpet and couch. And a poo on the puppy pad.

Her rope tether was dragged through all the mud and is sodden, so there are now snake-like wet mud marks "decorating" the carpet.

And it is cold. Very cold. But I am not going to risk putting any of the a/c's on until Nir has checked them, as they have not been on heat setting since last winter.

Nir is not at home - he and his wife are staying with one of his offspring for Hannuka - but he said he will come on Sunday to see what he can do.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Make sure you ask him to get that duvet on the bed for you Juli. You need to keep warm or you'll never heal.

I feel so bad for what you are going through. I really wish you could get someone to come in and help regularly :(

xxxxxxx
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am too cold to wait until Sunday for Nir to check the a/c units even though I have three layers of clothes on, the first layer being thermals, so I have risked putting on the one in the salon on a very low heat, just to take the chill off the air. I will switch it off soon and put on the one in the bedroom for an hour, also on low heat.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Update - Nir hacked out the weeds and mud that were blocking drainage from the patio, and sprayed all over the side and front yards. So the patio is fully drained and the mud is all dried - just a thin layer left which needs sweeping - whenever Nir can get someone who wants a days work. Not Alex, of course.

The sewers cleared so the floor in the shower/loo room is dry and some of the gunge that was left went as the water on the floor drained, but the layer that is left is not a pretty sight. However, I can get to the loo without slipping - just have to ignore the state of the floor tiles. Nir does not have anything to clean it - he said maybe a steam mop would help as the gunge has set almost like it has been painted on with a very thin layer of cement so even a stiff brush will not shift it.

He did not have much time - had to check the tap in the kitchen sink as it was leaking - new unit needed which he bought and fitted it on Tuesday. He will come back when he has half an hour free to check the filters in the a/c units - they just lift out and need rinsing, but he said it will be OK to use them until then.

And the duvet is still on the floor and not on my bed. Do Not Ask.

My back is as bad as ever and I am stuck indoors as I dare not risk the bumping up and down kerbs etc, nor being banged into at the macolet. But Hai brings over anything I want from there, Avner will get anything I need what the macolet does not have - mainly the packs of mixed diced frozen vegetables for Tikki. And of course Mikhaël delivers her [and my] poultry - 2kg each of turkey neck chunks and chicken wings yesterday evening and I managed to pack the wings this morning. Now being frozen in ThreeBees and will go in Pereg's freezer when done. The neck chunks can wait until tomorrow.

Social worker? What social worker? No sight of her, nor has she telephoned to see if I am OK. As for finding someone to come in an help...

But the sun is shining, the sky is a glorious blue, and Tikki is keeping me going, Bless her.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'm glad you're getting sorted Juli.

You know, I'm sure one of the people that come would be only too happy to lift the duvet off the floor and onto the bed for you. It may not be properly made up, but at least you'd be able to pull it over you xx
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Slowly slowly Chris - I refuse to give in and I accept that there are many things which I cannot do, just as I accept the fact that I cannot get proper help [although not for the want of trying], if the duvet stays on the floor in its suitcase-like plastic cover, I will just have to do without it for the time being. At least it is not taking up much space.

At the moment I have three "summer blankets" on the bed - they are ultra-lightweight thin quilted blankets, used without a sheet, and if the worst comes to the worst so I will just go to bed fully dressed! This type of blanket is used in most hospitals now. They are not large enough to tuck in, which is ideal for me as I have never liked that, but duvets are not tucked in either, are they.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Flooded and muddied again.

Booger.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh no! I hope Nir can find someone to help you soon.
    Any chance you could put a card in the macolet, asking for a young woman to help you get straight again?
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole, I have been trying to get someone to help for as long as I can remember. Nir sorted out the blocked patio so that is not so bad, but now the rain and mud has decided to block from the ramp to the front door.

Hai from the macolet brought some things over on Thursday [Wednesday was glorious and sunny], and his shoes were drowning in mud as there was another storm that night, and he just stood there, carrying a tray of eggs on one hand, and a bag of stuff on the other, not knowing what to do! And because I can not carry anything he had to take it all through to the kitchen.

I am not bothered about muddy foot or paw prints - the rain is so welcome and so far the shower drain has not backed up. The floor there is still covered in yuck since the last time, but hey ho, who cares. One day I will find a helper/cleaner, and in the meantime I am just so grateful that I have people I can call on to bring me [and Tikva] food.

But it is not right that my doctor and nurse never check if I am OK.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd get back onto that damned social worker who should be organising, no, have organised quite a bit of help for you since your last fall. It's gross irresponsibility on her part and she should be brought to task.

One thing I've found here, Juli, is that if you sit back and let them get away with it, you will always get the 'long stand'. It's frustrating as hell, so shout, scream and never let up until you get the help you need
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - what social worker? The latest one who just called in once? The one who asked me if I wanted to go into a nursing home? The one who was so frightened of Tikva that she would not come in?

I am coping. My back hurts like hades and I honestly cannot do much but I am coping. Tikki is fine and I can cope with her food. And I love her and I am sure she loves me. But I will not give in, however difficult life is.

Screaming and shouting will not help. That would just make me seem like I have psychological problems, and believe me I do not. Just because I am old does not mean I am loopy.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    The social workers must have a boss and it's the top boss you need to speak to Juli.

I don't know the system over there, but I imagine that you are entitled to help and unless you keep on and on at them, just like here, you won't get it
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    How about instead of shouting and screaming you send emails to any and all elected officials who represent your area. Maybe a letter to local papers.

You deserve better. It sounds as if you have some expectations of a visit from a doctor and or nurse. If you have a right to this due to your physical limitations or age you MUST make enough noise to be heard. There must be someone who’s ear you can get into. Their bosses or like I said previously, contact some newspapers. The doctors, nurses, social worker should all be ashamed of themselves, and if they aren’t, you need to find a way to shame them into action.

I believe you’ve said you live on a religious moshav? Is there a Rabbi you couid contact who could perhaps be your advocate? Also if your home regularly floods and water occasionally comes up through your drain, it’s seems to me that your landlord should be responsible for this. I know outside drains can clog, the culverts on our dirt road do this, as they should be larger, and some seem to have settled and no longer have enough angle on them to work well. We own our road, so they are our problem, but you pay rent for your home and seems to me some of these things should be taken care of by your landlord.

I also know that you’ve said you have a lifetime lease on your home, given to you by someone who has since passed, and maybe your rent is kept reasonable through this agreement, but that still doesn’t mean you should have to put up with your house flooding and the entrance/walkway into your house flooding. It’s a safety issue, you should at all times be able to safely exit your house.

This all makes me so angry, and if I were there (which I’m not) I would be raising h•ly h•ll with all these people to get them to do what seems to me, simply, is their jobs!!! You deserve to be treated better!
  19. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Chris B likes this.
    I completely agree and you said this in many fewer words then I did...
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris, Carole, Marc - all of you. I love you all and know that you care about me. But it is now winter and it rains, and it gets muddy... and we so need rain. Flooding is actually rare, just a nuisance when it happens. And rather messy.

Yes I am entitled to help, and I get financial help which is supposed to pay for the help I need. I get a disability pension from the National Insurance Institute [took years to get it and I had paid enough into the system when I worked]. An allowance for a carer [also from the NII] which is useless as I cannot get anyone to help me. And a mobility allowance but as I do not want a car the allowance goes towards taxis if needed. Or, in my case, has paid for my wheels.

And it is raining again.
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Juli, I am concerned that you are not being cared for, and I only know you from this site and our interactions on it, but you seem like a caring woman, who is putting up with things because you don’t want to make a ruckus, or seem needy. But “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Seems like you are going to have to be your own advocate.

Are there agencies that you could find help through? Here there’s something called visiting angels. I have a friend who gets work assignments through a similar agency. Or is there anything like Craigslist there, where you could advertise for help? How about someone from a house cleaning service? Like I suggested earlier, maybe ask at a temple/synagogue? Maybe get your taxi driver to drive you around to put up signs on boards outside shops.

I worked as a personal care attendant many many years ago for 2 different men with MS, and at a work program for developmentally disadvantaged adults. I found these jobs in the help wanted section in the local newspaper.

There must be someplace to look for or advertise for what you are looking for. Obviously the social worker isn’t doing their job, but you still need help, so you need to figure out how to be proactive to get yourself the assistance that you need. It is a shame the social worker is absent.. Especially in a country that is as religiously based as Israel... (and I say this as a non practicing Jew, and as a vegetarian). There is more compassion and concern for how an animal is slaughtered, then for an older woman who is in a wheelchair and just needs a bit of help to make it easier to remain living on her own. Seems like some priorities need to be straightened out.. Not yours, but those who’s job it is to look out for you, and I hope I have not offended by speaking my mind.

I will stop bugging you now. It’s real easy to look at someone else and suggest what they should do, but much harder to do this for ones self...

As an example, my job just ended, which I really liked. Its easy for someone else to say “why don’t you do this or that”, but I usually have a “reason” why “this or that” won’t work for me, but the reality is I need to bring in some income, and soon will have to take on something that may not be to my liking, while I find a job that I would like more... While I go back to school, at age 53, to get certification as a substance abuse counselor. There will unfortunately always be a need for this, and I have personal experience so I think I might be good at it, as I can relate.

I wish you lots of luck in finding a nice person to come in and help you with the things you would like help with.