Ibizan hounds and Pharaoh hounds- What are they like? Questions

Discussion in 'Ibizan Hound' started by magpye, Apr 10, 2009.

1. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz

Ibizan hounds and Pharaoh hounds- What are they like?

I just adore the look of these breeds They sound wonderful, intelligent and sensitive... Like my Pharaoh really (except the intelligent bit)... But what are they really like?

Can they be trained?
    Do they recall?

How would you go about getting one?

Are there Ibizan hounds in rescue?

Just curious really , not looking to add to my pack just yet... But ...

Ibizan hounds and Pharaoh hounds have long been on my wish list... I need to know more about them:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Windhound

Windhound New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    There is an Ibizan Rescue and the person who runs it is a lady called Jenny Startup tel no 01462 893714; she is also an expert on the breed as she has owned and bred Ibizan for many years. She judges most of the Hound Group and also does Saluki and Pharoh Hound Rescue. If you want to know anything about the breed she is the person to talk with and is a very nice lady.Hope this is of some help.
  4. CLMG

CLMG New Member

Name:
    Christine
    I've only know one Pharaoh hound, absolutly gorgeous soft friendly dog :grin: but the owner said as thick as two short planks :roll: but I don't know if that was typical of the breed or just this one particular dog :?

I do agree with you, they are stunning looking dogs to look at :grin:
  5. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    The woman who bred my whippets has ibizan hounds she says they are thick. She also bred my greyhound. I did say they can't be as thick as William and she said no they are worse.
  6. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    Hi Magpye,

I've owned Pharaoh Hounds for 26 years and am also great friends with the top Ibizan hound breeder in the UK (who has had Ibizans for 30+ years).

Can they be trained? Yes

Do they recall? Yes

As for getting one of either breed, the best thing to do is contact the breed club secretaries who will know of any forthcoming litters or dogs in rescue (the latter are very rare).

If you want to know more about either breed please feel free to ask :)

Debs
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Ok well that's a fantastic start:)

Thanks for all the contact info etc.. I'm going to write all this down:)

The only Pharaoh hound I met was my Pharaoh lurcher's grand sire... Pharaoh is Father Grey hound, Mother Pharaoh hound Saluki cross... Pharaoh is adorable but dim:) Is this a Pharaoh hound trait then?

His sister is much smarter and more Saluki in looks, Pharaoh looks much more Greyhound, but occasionaly puts his ears on and you can really see that there was a Pharaoh hound in the mix:)

The Ibizan hound just looks a stunning and beautiful dog, but I know absolutely nothing about them!

Is there a breeder or owner anywhere in the Essex area I could meet up with? Go meet some of these lovely dogs?
  8. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    If you think Pharaohs OR Ibizans are stupid or dumb you're in for a hell of a shock :mrgreen: They are among the most intelligent dogs - far too intelligent sometimes. They have problem solving capabilites beyond anything most people can imagine :D

I can't recommend anyone in Essex I'm afraid but if you can get to a couple of Champ shows you could see both breeds (depending on which show you go to). Both breeds have relatively few classes at shows so you have to know which ones to go to. The PHC Ch show is near Coventry in June and the EIHC Ch show is (I think) in East anglia and is in October. Birmingham National in May has classes for both.

Ibizans are a little more primitive in nature than Pharaohs and on the whole can be a little more difficult to train. As with all hounds the obedience comes with training from a very early age.

Most breeders will tell you they can't be let off the lead. This is absolute balderdash. There was a Pharaoh that did very well in agility competions in the UK and in the States they work agility AND obedience. Do a search on Youtube and you'll see many Pharaohs and Ibizans doing all sorts of doggy sports.

One other thing - you will HAVE to be prepared to go on a waiting list. There are only two or three litters of Pharaohs born in the Uk every year and maybe one or two of Ibizans. Be warned also that there are many people new to Pharaohs who have become 'instant experts' and are breeding litters with little or no clue of what they're doing. Better to do plenty of homework and talk to established breeders and owners before commiting to anything.

Health-wise, both are very healthy breeds and the only Breed Club testing recomended for Pharaohs is a Patella Sub-luxation test.

Debs
  9. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I met my first Ibizan Hound at Crufts this year and was blown away with how beautiful he was, the breeder was from Ireland. I asked about recall and she said that all hers have good recall but the breed is known to be poor, typical hound really:)
    It is a breed I would look into in the future
  10. Windhound

Windhound New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    As I mentioned in my last post Jenny Startup is very well known in Ibizans ,and you ask if there is anybody in Essex well she is located just outside Cambridge, maybe if you contact her she could let you know where she will be showing in the local area and you could meet some other Ibizan people. East Anglian Hound hold their shows at Wood Green Animal Shelter and would schedule Ibizan classes.
  11. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Fantastic news.. Thank you for all your help and advice... I would be looking for new dog for 5 yr plan anyway, so no rush or hurry for puppy:)... Plenty of time to research, go to shows, meet up with some dogs and go on a waiting list... Not rushing in this time;)

And you never know.. May still end up with the rescue dog, like I promised myself, so then Ibizan hound have to wait again for next dog:) But we can but dream and never hurts to plan ahead:)