If something can go wrong... General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

If something can go wrong...

...it will - and not only in threes.

I think I had better explain. Every store closes early on Fridays because of Shabbat so Wednesdays and Thursdays are the busy days, and this year Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, starts on Sunday at sundown for two days, so stores will only be open until ~3pm and then closed until Wednesday. And I was running short on a lot of Tikva's meat. So...

1 - Tuesday I telephoned Mikhaël and asked if he could please bring me 2kg of turkey necks for Tikkva. Forgot that I also wanted fish for her - he has like large sardines but bigger, ungutted but with the heads, fins and tails cut off, so I had to call him again. But he brought the wrong fish. I have no idea what they are but they are fillets of something and he said they are very nice, so I kept one pack for me to try them and he took the other three packs back.

2 - Wednesday morning the chunks of turkey necks were packed and frozen, but I had forgotten to ask him for turkey livers so I had to call him yet again only I mixed up words and asked for hearts instead of livers. In the evening he brought the correct fish [already frozen B"H] and hearts. Not to worry, both Tikki and I like turkey hearts, hers raw, mine usually cut length-ways and wokked.

3 - Yesterday evening he brought the livers.

4 - This morning I went to pack and freeze them... but he had brought chicken livers and not turkey livers... only problem being size as one is not enough for Tikki and two are too much. Oh well, she will not care if she gets too much, and they are now all packed and being frozen... How could I have done it? Not only forgotten things, although Mikhaël does not mind as he lives a few houses up the road from me so just drops them in on his way home, but mixing up words? After over 34 years speaking Ivrit I mixed up the words for hearts and livers?

5 - I switched on my mobile phone to call Amit... and got the message "Fatal Error" and some code. Problem - all my contact telephone numbers are on my mobile. :100: :100: :100: :100: :100:

- Cue for me to panic, until I had the sense to look at a spectacle case and the number of his store is on it, so I had to telephone there and ask for his mobile number. As his assistant optician knows me she gave it to me, so I called him on my landline.

But... my landline number is unlisted so he did not know who was calling and nearly did not answer. However, luckily he did and said he has a spare mobile phone at home and will bring it here shortly and put the SIM card from my dead mobile into the new one. PHEW. In the meantime I do have some numbers in my previous LG mobile which, although it does not work because Pelephone stopped supporting LG, still has numbers in it. No SIM card as it is rather ancient but as long as I charge the battery occasionally I can find those numbers.

- And that bdooly lizard is STILL in my ensuite even though I keep the window open during the day so it can get down and hopefully find its way out the same way it came in.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    And so it goes on! Amit brought the mobile phone but not the charger and it would not charge with the one from mine.

Then Ram turned up to give Tikki shots etc - did her nails, weighed her [6.7kg] and gave her the Parkworm shot - gave me the Bravecto tablet to give her with her evening meal... but forgot to bring her yearly booster.

But - my lovely yellow ninja brought me a box of rather special choccies for Rosh Hashana so the week is ending on a good note !

[​IMG]
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    The forgetfulness is probably just the backlash from a very stressful week.

I have weeks like that every other week so I feel your pain. Usually, my hubby says if it can go wrong it will when it comes to me and electrical goods and technology. :)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Belated update. While Ram was here he managed to catch the lizard, by knocking it gently down into a box with one of my picker-uppers, and took it outside to let it go. He also came back a bit later and gave Tikki her booster shot.

Anyhow, I said some norty words to my mobile, plugged it in to make sure it was charged, which it was... and then it decided it was not dead after all! However, the one Amit brought is still here and he will bring the charger for it and leave it with me, and if mine really does pack up he will put my SIM card in the new one and all will be well. He had bought it as a spare for his shop but did not need it so it has never been used. More-or-less the same size as mine but thicker and sturdier, with a sort of rubber covering. It is easier for me to hold, the numbers are larger and are slightly raised so it will be much easier for me to use. It also has an SOS button on the back which he will set to his mobile. Actually, when he does bring the correct charger I will probably get him to put my SIM card in the new one and use it straight away.

When I bought mine the battery was dodgy and it needed recharging every couple of days even if it is not used. They did say they would be getting new batteries but I am still waiting...

Chris, you are right - it definitely has been a stressful week as I had been on edge ever since Slava had telephoned to tell me they were all coming on Wednesday and I had been dreading it, even more so because I did not know any of them and I was also rather concerned as to how Tikki would react.

But how I could confuse "lev" [heart] for "kaved" [liver] I will never know, and as for Mikhaël bringing first the wrong fish and then the wrong liver, well, I just put that down to the chaos his place must have been in all week.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The new phone sounds ideal for you, and so much better than not knowing whether you are going to have enough charge in it. Mine is getting the same way. It drops to half way when it is left on standby, but when I use it, (only rarely), I can see the charge level falling quickly. I just hate new gadgetry, my brain is full up!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not even use a telephone that often, and usually the only calls I get are either Amit or wrong numbers, although like my landline, not that many people know the number, and wrong numbers/mis-dialed numbers happen to everyone. Plus I always switch it off around 9.30 - 10pm as nobody will call after that, and do not switch it on until I surface. Amit knows my landline number [as do my emergency service, who also know my mobile number] in case he calls and my mobile is switched off or I do not answer when it is on. Sometimes I leave it in a room, go to another room and I just do not hear it, whereas I have cordless landline extensions all over the place.

This morning I was doing my usual check on my computer, emails, situation regarding orders etc, and I all of a sudden remembered having to ask Effi how to switch on the first computer he built for me! My twin and I used to be in snail mail contact before then and she had given me her email address "for when you wake up to the fact that you do need a computer" was her comment, but it took me two weeks before I dared attempt at sending her an email! Now? How on earth did I learn to do so much on one?

Nobody taught me. Effi set up the first one, got my email address sorted, installed Thunderbird for emails and Firefox for my browser... and left me to it. But no way will I get a smart phone because I just do not understand them, to say nothing of the fact that they are too big for me to hold.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I don't get on well with smart phones. I have one, but never use it because I simply can't hear it - either when it rings or anyone talking on it. So, I bought a cheap mobile that is extra loud and flip screen so that the screen is covered when I stick it in my pocket. I hate 'phones full stop because I hate using them, but need one for if Gary has a fit when he is away from us or when any of the family need to get in touch urgently.

To be honest, if it wasn't for Gary, I wouldn't have one at all
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chas thinks that we should carry phones 'in case anything happens' when either of us is out alone, or walking the dogs. Does he usually carry his phone with him though? No.
    I think they are useful for locating each other in places such as showgrounds. We both carry our phones, but can I actually reach him when I want to? You've guessed it. He has either forgotten to switch his phone on, didn't hear it ring, or couldn't get to answer it before it went to voicemail !!! His phone is, of course, a smartphone, but its main purpose seems to be receiving unwanted emails from companies that are trying to sell him something.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Update on the new mobile. It has a red SOS button on the back of it and Amit has now set it to call [and send an SMS] to his own mobile, which he had to set to accept them. So I now not only have the button for my emergency service but also have the SOS directly to Amit.

I did not particularly want it but he did, and as he is twice my size I did not feel like arguing with him!
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    My phone has that little button on the back too. I daren't set it because I shove the phone in my jeans pocket while we are out (only time it gets used if you call having it there for emergencies being used) and it could easily push and hold the button without me knowing about it.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You think I had a say in the matter Chris?! :005: Same as I have a card in my ID cover giving his name and telephone numbers in case of emergency - which also says there is a dog alone in my home and to contact him. And AFAIK there is a note on my hospital records saying to contact him if I have been admitted.

[I think that in the UK a person can set a contact number into a mobile phone under ICE 'In Case of Emergency' - please correct me if I am wrong - but not here, so the SOS button stands in place of that.]

I do not mind really. Far better that I carry a contact number with me all the time and it is a legal requirement to always carry one's ID card - it is one of the first things the emergency services will ask for or look for.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Yes you can set up the ICE thing. I have done in Gary's phone for obvious reasons. He also wears an SOS bracelet with mine and his dad's mobile numbers.

It's the only thing I have a mobile for because I truly hate them :)