Info wanted on shiba Inu's General Chat

Discussion in 'Japanese Shiba Inu' started by Shona, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona

Info wanted on shiba Inu's

as some will know, I have been thinking of adding another dog to the gang.... a small dog...
    would love to get some info on shiba Inu's ;-)

If you know of any good breeders.... please PM details. x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    They are adorable LOL

I prefer reds to creams though..
  4. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
  5. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    thanks vicki.... I guess its still at the looking stage....though I think as we will not be breeding holly for a while yet.....then poss dougie is looking at getting me a pup for xmas/birthday.....

there are other breeds I like... as its september now.. It could be a bit late for getting onto a waiting list for anything due in Dec/Jan.....:neutral:
  6. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Just wanted you to have the info. Linda breeds gorgeous shibas (remember, Lennon, bless him, is a "reject", but Mya isn't!).

I've visited the kennels twice, and was so impressed on both visits. They are beautifully clean, and the dogs look happy and healthy.

:D :D :D
  7. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Just had another thought - Linda may have some bitches looking for homes also...... she only breeds them for so long..... might be another avenue for you to go down.
    :D

[​IMG]
  8. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I can ask my friend who has 2 where they are from and if he has any recommendations for kennels if you want Shona..
  9. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Nikki (Archer) has just got a pup too - she may be able to recommend the kennels he came from :D
    [​IMG]
  10. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Yey you get one and I can come for a visit, love them but they are not for me at the moment :)
  11. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    great stuff louise..

must pm her too,,

lol IF I get one you can have a hug of my one

I have to say the only thing putting me off them is... they arent really cuddle monsters on the whole,, and the people dont let them off lead thing,... I just wonder with a good bit of training can that be worked out.. or would it tend to follow the pack...aka the rotties thus it wouldnt run off if you know what I mean???/
  12. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    I think they're trainable, personally. I think I could have trained Len, but I got him at 6 months, and although we started lead training, my back went, and I didn't recover for 7 weeks. I never started it up again, so it's all my fault.

Like most dogs, some are cuddle monsters, and some aren't!

[​IMG]
  13. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    You could try having a look at another forum I'm on, Shona - it's for Shiba owners only, but has details of the rescue on there. There's none for rescue at the moment, but you may want the link. Let me know if you want it and I'll PM you.
    [​IMG]
  14. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    The ones I know do get off lead...one of them does obedience too I think..
  15. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    that would be great if you could pm me the link,...

I have heard of a few getting off lead.. but most owners say not to let them off.. that said those owners tend not to let there other breeds of dog off.. so I did wonder if its a training thing,
  16. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    They have off lead obedience/agility Mals too;-)
  17. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Just shows that anything is possible with the right training. Should be putty in your hands, Shona :D
    [​IMG]
  18. Archer

Archer New Member

Only just caught up on this thread....sorry!
    Yoshi came from Gill Bingham(affix steldawn).He is my 3rd Steldawn bred dog so guess you can say I'm pleased with what Im getting!!(My other shiba was given my daughter by Gill,and my 3rd elkhound was sired by one of Gills dogs)
    She is also coordinator for shiba rescue.
    Shes straight talking,honest and passionate about her dogs....and temperament is foremost.
    Yes they an do agility...IF you have a sense of humour.You never fully train a shiba....you think you've cracked it then BANG...they decide they've got memory loss BIG STYLE!!That is why we don't let them off lead...the temptation of a bird or something rustling in the bushes could easily cause these independant ittle spirits to just disappear.
  19. Archer

Archer New Member

20. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Archer is right - the one word that sums up Shibas is independent! Our girl Missy is a real cuddle muffin - but only when she wants to be. If you try to give her a cuddle when she isn't in the mood, she'll run a mile! She will be fine off lead one moment, then for no apparent reason, she will totally ignore all your entreaties, bribes and demands.
    Although relatively small, they have big personalities and most of them seem to think they are Akitas. Frightened of absolutely nothing (apart from having their nails clipped - four strong men and earplugs needed - the screams are unbelievable!)
    Brilliant dogs though!!

Missy as a baby puppy "fronting" one of our adult sibes

[​IMG]

Guarding the couch while the sibes sleep

[​IMG]

Mick
  21. skilaki

skilaki

Name:
    -
    There is a feature on them in Dog World this month - about 4 pages worth which might be worth a look. They do look adorable. I knew someone who had them, and they said they were more like cats than dogs in both their aloofness and cleanliness, but I don't if that's reflective of the breed as a whole, or down to the individual dog. Maybe if it grows up with rotties, it will think it is one and be a cuddle monster too? . . .