Information on Bull Greyhounds General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by rosbour, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rosbour

rosbour New Member

Name:
    Renate

Information on Bull Greyhounds

Hi All, I have had to join as reading some of the comments on here about bull greyhounds made me belly laugh, I cannot believe the ignorance and discrimination of some people,

A bull greyhound is usually crossed with a staffie and a greyhound, but can be crossed with any breed that has bull in it.

I have a 2.5 yrs old male who is gentle and kind though they do have a natural instinct to chase anything that runs so need to be kept on a leash at all times.

I neither give him steriods or have him as a status symbol and am a very responisble dog owner and run him with a pack on the hunt, or walk him with my 10 year old German Shepherd.

He is the most softest dog ever, but is distrustful of anyone until he knows you, not a bad thing, (good judges of character id say)

I took him in for two weeks at 14 weeks old and could not part with him.

So all you dont know what breed your talking about people do some research before you comment or judge !
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Try not lumping everyone together - just because you've read a few comments (on a site that has around 30,000 members!) it doesn't mean everyone here shares the same view.

Having said that, I've not noticed any Bull-greyhound threads, but if there are any active ones at present you'd be better off joining in those discussions and demonstrating why you disagree with them or think they are wrong, instead of posting a generalised rant pretty much attacking everyone - that certainly won't help you make friends or do your cause any good.

With that out of the way, welcome to Dogsey - I'd love to see photos of you dogs - being a bull-breed fan myself ;)
  4. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Unfortunately you do get alot of people out there that dont like bullies - cross bred or pedigree. There are plenty of dog breeds out there that I dont like, but I wont name any, lol.

And yep there is a massive amount of ignorance about them, but those people have generally had a bad experience with an irresponsible owner. Or they have actually never met one.

The best things you can do to overcome it is to educate people who havent had much contact with bull breeds and be the most responsible owner you can to give as many people positive experiences with your breed of dog. My boy has changed alot of people's opinions about staffies because I have brought him up to be friendly, well mannered and sociable - unfortunately not all owners do that and that doesnt help with people's perceptions of my breed.
  5. WufWufs

WufWufs New Member

Name:
    MrWufs
    The only 'bull greyhound' I've had the pleasure of meeting was one of the softest, waggiest dogs around! It definitely posed a threat - from its ENORMOUS TONGUE ;-)
  6. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    My friend has one and he's a brilliant loving daft dog :lol:

Not my breed of choice but all same a lovely dog - another case for deed not breed methinks :lol:
  7. tillytheterrier

tillytheterrier New Member

Name:
    Gerri
    My Gracie is thought to be staffie cross whippet and I love them. She is the softest, most loving dog you could wish to meet. (unless you're a rabbit!) Bull lurchers are not thought of particularly highly in the lurcher world from what I've seen but I dont care. She's mine and I love her and Im sure you feel the same. So ignore the negative and embrace the positive! :grin:
  8. rosbour

rosbour New Member

Name:
    Renate
    Hi everyone and thank you for your comments,(taken on board Azz)! since my last post, my boy and I were walking in my neighbourhood as usual and I saw two Dogs off the leash, these two dogs have attacked my dog twice before, so on seeing them off the leash i turned around and walked towards home before they saw me, as I got feet outside my house I turned around and saw this staffie pit bull cross charge down my path, we were not threatening and my dog did not see him coming as we were in front of him, the dog just latched onto my dogs head and a bad fight broke out, I dare not let go of the lead as I was thinking i will never break them up, the man came running down off the green to me shouting get your dog on the leash, luckily his dog stopped and he had him on the leash, to which the other one was about to have a go, I ranted a few words to say if that one starts i will have to kick him so he put that one on the leash also, my lad has now pierced ears and a nasty bite (jaw size on his back leg),not sure what the other dog is like? The thing is i do never let my dog off the lead until i know it is safe, I am vigilant,( he is chipped and neutered) most of the time he runs on private land as I cannot do with the amount of owners who think it is okay to let their dogs run freely and attack mine, I have worked hard along with my daughter and her boyfriend to make him listen, he is now wary of other dogs, so back to the drawing board to build up his trust of other dogs again,( as a terrier came to say hello the other day and he went for it, on the lead and the terrier was not) :-( ps i am now looking over my shoulder everytime i am out in my area, i do not blame the dog, I blame the owner, and from the witnesses that saw what went on checking we were okay say the dog has attacked a few around here, especially the bully breeds,? I now know where this dog owner lives and it is only a matter of time before I see him ( keep looking), I was going to report him, but believe everyone needs a chance to be responsible, he will get his, on a lighter note on another walk two boxers again off the lead came over to my dog and he allowed them to sniff him (result) :)