Information on Wheaten terriers? General Chat

Discussion in 'Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier' started by kammi_sparky123, Apr 15, 2011.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Information on Wheaten terriers?

I have recently discovered this breed!
    (Well I knew they existed but never really thought about them).

Who owns/knows one? What are they like?
    They are so adorable and seem a lovely size :D

Mixed information on the internet about trainablity/energy levels etc...

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. majuka

majuka New Member

Name:
    Jane
    I actually met my first one yesterday at a training class I was observing. Not sure how old she was, about 5 or 6 years I think. She was stunning, larger than I expected from pictures I have seen in books. As a breed I know virtually nothing about them. I know that this one had already done her gold KC award and she was very well behaved in the class!
  4. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Awww how lovely :D

I have never met one but since the other day I have been a bit hooked! They don't seem overly common though!
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I've met 3 and a work colleague's son had a pup. From what I have read they are one of the most "softest" terriers and quite trainable. Their coat needs a lot of care and grooming though. There are 2 types of coat -American and English and one needs more care than the other as it is thicker.

When I saw an adult one I was surprised how large they were as it was bigger than my Kerry Blue male and I thought they were the same size.

The one we met recently in Southwold had an awful haircut (owner DIY?) and completely spoiled the look of the dog in such a coated breed but that's a matter of opinion I guess!

I would think you may have to travel quite a distance to get a pup as they aren't very common.
  6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I might be wrong but something in the back of my mind tells me they are prone to breed-specific health issues, so do your research first. But I agree they are lovely dogs and the ones I have met have impressed me.
  7. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I've met a few around here. I used to walk with one named Honey at the dog park. She and the others i used to meet were wonderful dogs, full of jazz, good humor and life, (like any terrier) good with other dogs, soft and fluffy. I really like them, and I did some research on them awhile back when my sister was deciding on a breed.
  8. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks everyone.

Yeah there are a few health issues with them I have found so would go to a reputable breeder :)

The travelling for a pup is the one thing that does concern me, as from the quick look I have had, there aren't many breeders at all. Let alone any near here :(
  9. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Okay okay just had a look online, not fully researched, but on the site I am not allowed to say :)lol:) I have found two breeders, both are only an hour (or so) from me!!
    They both may turn out to not be what I want from a breeder.... but chances are one out of the two will be okay.
    Now I just have to hope they will still be breeding in about 5 years time..... :lol:

(I have not decided 100% that the wheaten is the dog for me as I have more research to do, but for now everything about them is perfect for what I want :D )
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    There is a saying in the "wheaten " fraternity, "they only have one brain cell between them".

I know a few people with them, one has just had to re home her boy, he can scale a 7 ft fence and got out and killed next doors cat.

Adorable breed, but not for the faint hearted, they are incredible independent...which means, you have to have control, the ones I know, have terrible recall, they are a terrier first and foremost and will act as one at every oppertunity.

They are not dogs to be left alone , as the one that killed the cat can testify,

They are a breed that needs a huge amount of stimulation, if they dont get it , they will become bored and destructive, to the point of becoming escape artists .

I love these dogs, but I would never own one!
  11. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    They need a LOT of grooming.

Good natured, happy go lucky dogs. Most are friendly (dependent on how raised) to both dogs and people, but there's always the exception, of course.

Cheeky, inquisitive and mischievious. Respond well to reward-based training.

Not met too many of them, but of the ones I have met and worked with, this is the overall impression I have of them
  12. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Oooo dear! Well that is good to know too!
  13. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks - it is nice to get mixed views :)
  14. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I always try to find out the worst problems the breed has, then decide if I can live with that! LOL That's what I did to my sister... I found all the negative things I could about the breeds she was looking at, and e-mailed them to her...
  15. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Yeah that was kinda what I was doing! Plus it is nice to hear good things too :lol:
  16. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    As others have said the coat can be a nightmare and will matt easily if you're not 100% on top of it. I have one that comes for grooming, he's a big dog, almost Lab sized and his coat is hard work. A neighbour also has one and his coat seems a lot better but he's very dog aggressive and I've also seen him go for a jogger, but then I reckon that's a handler issue. They are big dogs to have a terrier temperament so you have to totally on top of any issues that spring up. All the others I have met (pet ones) have been dog aggressive. I daresay they are also handler issues though, haven't met enough to give a real impression of general temperament.

Oh and everyone will assume it's a labradoodle:)
  17. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    This is interesting to hear from someone who has actually met the breed. I have just read about them in breed books and the books you get in the library about all the different breeds and they all say they are very soft in temperament for terriers!

Then I should have known not to take these guides as gospel as they always say Kerries are very dog aggressive and you can never let them off-lead and Parker is very sociable with other dogs and can be recalled off rabbits. You should always meet people who have the breed to get a true picture.
  18. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    I had read mixed things about the wheaten, and again got mixed things about people that have met the breed.

For now my plan is actually to rescue a dog instead of going to a breeder (and probably not getting a wheaten).
  19. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    Their fabulous dogs!!!! In the right hands... they are NOT on a whim dogs. The coat takes true dedication to keep it healthy and looking like the breed should. (Even the irish coat that is less dense than the English/American coat needs regular brushing). The dog itself takes true dedication as it is people orientated and wants to be with you.
    They make super family pets...again...in the right hands. Aggression shouldn't be in the breeds makeup, however, like any breed, when temperament isn't high on the agender of the breeder you do get problems. They are terriers but shouldnt be sharp. Size varies enormously, the standard asks for dogs to be between 18-19 1/2 inches to the withers, many can look down on an airedale:roll:

I have noticed a huge increase in adverts on the internet advertising 'wheatens' for sale/stud...(many don't even look like wheatens) nothing is mentioned about parents being hipscored, eye tested, blood tested, urine tested etc, very worrying:?
  20. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Oh thanks for your reply :D

(you can always add pictures in if you like... :D )

There is still something about them I like.
    Probably won't get one as my next dog, but never say never! :D
  21. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    I wouldn't be without mine:grin:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011