Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Heather Barcoe, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Insurance

Hi guys,
    So I work full time and was wondering about insurance.
    Do I still need insurance if my mum is on benefits and could take him to the vets that you only pay a donation in or is it worth getting insurance to be on the safe side?
    Can anyone recommend a decent insurance policy please as I don’t know where to start.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Your mother won’t be able to claim.
    To qualify for any help with veterinary fees the dog must be in your name and they will check what benefits you receive.
    Personally I don’t insure but it's down to Personal choice really,alternatively some people prefer to set up a bank account strictly for vets bills.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I have never had health insurance for my dogs, as it would have been too great an expense to cover half a dozen or so dogs. I did sell my puppies with Petplan cover though, and let their owners decide whether or not to continue it. I like having the security of Third Party Insurance though. Sometimes it is included in your household policy, but I also have the £1 million cover provided by being a member of The Dogs Trust.
    I am not sure how easy it is to get access to charity vet. care. My daughter has a disability, and manages on a very low income. She is in a semi-rural are, but has no vehicle, and would have to travel around 30 miles by several changes of public transport to be able to access a PDSA clinic. Not very practical with a large dog which has never learned to travel well, and is inclined to aggression. On the other hand, there is a PDSA clinic in the city that I live in, and I know people who make use of it, who I know for sure have no need to rely on a charity. It all seems a bit random to me.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I think the Blue Cross is the only one that does free veterinary services now, if you're in there catchments area.
    The RS#CA only offers low-cost care.
    The PDSA stopped their free treatment, it’s been replaced with a monthly payment plan and only applies to existing clients (unless they have now changed it.
    These clinics seem to be few and far between, the nearest one to us is 30 miles away.