Intoducing an adult Staffy to cats Training

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by annalene, Mar 23, 2009.

1. annalene

annalene New Member

Name:
    AJ

Intoducing an adult Staffy to cats

Hi

I will go introduce myself in a few but thought I would ask first.

I am actually a cat person and my hubby is the dog person. We have 3 (3yrs, 6yrs and 7yrs old) adult cats and we are looking at adopting a female staffy stray (3yrs about). She arrived at my mother in law's house and they have attempted to rehome her with NO sucess as the organisations have not been helpful.
    My husband and I have been discussing an adoption for a while and she fits the bill of what we want.
    Anyway that was a whole different issue.

My question is how can we introduce the dog without causing too much stress to the cats and will the Staffy try eat the cats?
    My thinking cos she's new and has no territory she might not be aggresive.
    Am I right in my thinking?

ANY advise welcome.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Hi there.

Although not impossible, I think if you have adult cats which are not used to dogs and an adult dog which is not used to cats, you could be on an uphill struggle.

The main problem is that many cats will try to run from dogs and their running away excites the dogs and usually makes them want to chase. I know nothing about staffies in particular, but generally some dogs chase just for the excitement but some dogs do chase to kill..and you can't tell which a dog may be just by looking at them. Personally I don't think territory will come into it - the dog will either see the cats as prey or will simply be curious, but I doubt that they will treat them as other dogs (e.g. being territorial).

How are you cats around dogs - have they had any experience? I have introduced dogs into my cat's home, but I knew my cat was ok with dogs - he'd never lived with one before, but showed no fear of the neighbours dog (in fact it was the other way round :lol:). I knew that if the dog did try to chase the cat, the cat would give him what for. But then my dogs aren't a particularly powerful breed.

I made sure that the cat always had places to go where the dog couldn't - so for example, the cat was allowed on the furniture and upstairs, whereas the dog wasn't. Stairgates can be useful for this as they would allow the cats through, but not the dog.

Any introduction should be calm and make sure you have the dog fully under control. If she is familiar with wearing a muzzle, I may be tempted to put one on her until you are sure of her reaction, but if she isn't used to one, imo it would not be a good first introduction to the muzzle and the cats. instead I would keep her on a lead.

Good luck:)
  4. annalene

annalene New Member

Name:
    AJ

The Mafia, as they are reffered too, are pretty chilled around dogs. They had a Daschund in their space and the doggie was scared of them. Satine the middle female cat use to live with dogs and so has Dionysus the boy. Only the baby in the house hasn't.

Thanks for the advise, we'll have to see what happens!
  5. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    :lol: love the collective name for your cats :)

Well, if the majority of the cats are used to dogs, that's far more positive.

Do let us know how you get on :)
  6. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    I don't know about introducing for the first time, but just wanted to say it's not impossible - my last foster staffy lived with a cat and was fine with all cats.

Good luck :grin:
  7. Thornesstaf

Thornesstaf New Member

Name:
    Dee
    Although I am not a cat person, my mother - in-law has 2 cats and her staffy lives very happily with them.
  8. annalene

annalene New Member

Name:
    AJ
    Thanks Hali :)
  9. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have 4 staffords and two cats that all get along fine.

As someone suggested the cats running away may cause the dog to chase. All depends on the dogs previous experiences
  10. swine

swine New Member

Name:
    zara
    i enjoyed reading your ideas..have just registered today...i have 2 cats that are very gentle but not familiar with dog company...my boyfriend has an 8yr old staffy bitch and we are wanting to live together in peace and harmony...shes a complete softie around people and other dogs but an out and out predator when it comes to cats sheep squirrels etc!! we have brought zara the dog to my house but as yet they have not met just sniffed through doors! i cant see a way past this as i am scared she will just kill them as yesterday infact she was out with us on a walk and grabbed a cat we were unaware of....any ideas would be very welcome indeed as to the next step....many thanks
  11. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    They need to be able to see each other so I would suggest child gates on doors.

My lot will chase cats out if they run or move fast. But don't do anything if the cat does not move just take it slowly.
  12. swine

swine New Member

Name:
    zara
    zara can pull herself over a 5ft fence and has done so the gates wouldn't really be an option lol...but thanks anyway...my cats are very likely not to run away if zara is secure on a lead maybe a harness...they would be curious and yes a few hisses im sure...all zaras experiences with cats have left her scared and havent been great!!desperate to solve this problem....
  13. swine

swine New Member

Name:
    zara
    i meant scarred lol....shes not scared of anything!!!!!
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    You could try a harness but my experience would suggest that dogs behave differently when on a harness or lead so it would be ok to let her see them but I would not rely on it as being a good indicater of both their reactions good or bad.

The child gate may be something you could use later once you feel a nit more secure but not secure enough to go cold turkey. Although she could go over it if you are stood there while she has access.
    Always make sure the cats have an easy exit so they can't be cornered