Introducing.... General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Coco Pappy, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Coco Pappy

Coco Pappy New Member

Name:
    AJ

Introducing....

Stumbled into this forum, and I have seen quite a bit of good info here. By way of introductions, I have adopted Coco, who I have learned through a Wisdom Panel DNA test is 3/8 Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael), 2/8 German Shepherd, 1/8 Siberian Husky, 1/8 Chow, and 1/8 Mixed Breed (with the highest probability in the hound group. This lil fella has energy to no end. We are not sure of exactly how old he is, but I have had had him for about 12 weeks now, and my guess was about 3 months or so when I got him.

Looking forward to interacting with you guys in here.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi AJ, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to some photos of Coco. What an unusual mix of breeds.
  4. Coco Pappy

Coco Pappy New Member

Name:
    AJ
    Quite unusual. One grandparent was a pure Belgian Sheepdog, one was a German Shepherd/(likely) Hound mix, one was a Belgian Sheepdog/Chow Chow mix, and one was a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix...

Smart, energetic, clumsy, athletic, and stubborn.....all rolled into one.
  5. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham New Member

Name:
    Kim
    hi and welcome
    looking forwared to seeing some photos of coco he sounds great .....i have 7 year old archie who is a shih tzu great little dog iv posted pics of him so you may see him around as he does love his pic took ....
  6. Coco Pappy

Coco Pappy New Member

Name:
    AJ
    Coco1.jpeg Coco2.jpeg Coco3.jpeg Coco4.jpeg Coco5.jpeg It's been a while since I last posted. And BOY has Coco grown. He's still very hyper, and like a bull in a china shop if I let him loose in the house. We are still working some basic training stuff outside. I learned the HARD way today why some handlers wear gloves. Got me a NASTY rope burn on my ring finger....LOL....Hasn't he grown?
  7. Coco Pappy

Coco Pappy New Member

Name:
    AJ
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    This was him when I first posted (thought I had posted his puppy pics before)...
    Coco Pup1.JPG Coco Pup2.JPG Coco Pup3.JPG Coco Pup4.jpeg Coco Pup5.jpeg
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What a difference! I was interested to see the shawl along Coco's spine as my first Lurcher had one as well. I could never make up my mind whether to strip it out or leave it as a distinctive feature!
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What a difference! I was interested to see his shawl along the spine. My first Lurcher had a shawl, - always longer when in her Winter coat. I could never decide whether to strip it out or leave it.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do you mean that slightly darker stripe along lovely Coco's spine and tail?
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    See the fourth adult photo. A line of longer length, and differently textured hair, running down the spine.
    My cream Mia Lurcher was smooth haired but had a stripe of longer, coarser hair down the length of her spine.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Strange. Tikva is red and smooth haired but she has a slightly darker thin stripe - also smooth, from just between her ears, all down her spine and on the top of her tail. Same length and same velvety texture, but almost like it has been drawn on to darken it slightly.
  13. Coco Pappy

Coco Pappy New Member

Name:
    AJ
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    More updates on Coco. He STILL is a BUNDLE of energy. One issue that has started popping up is intermittent diarrhea. Once every month or two, I come home to mushy poop in the crate. I empty him out every morning, and usually this is enough to hold him until my kid comes home and takes him out mid-afternoon. Every once in a while, I suspect that he just can't hold it and it makes a HUGE mess. I also noticed that around the same times, he starts not eating, opting instead to "hide" his food under something in his crate. Otherwise, he is doing GREAT.
    IMG_7716.jpeg IMG_7719.jpeg IMG_7723.jpeg
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What a handsome boy, love his colour.

It's quite common for Gsd’s to have sensitive tummies, I found ‘Pro-Fibre’ great for firming them up quickly, and you can get it on Amazon)

Has been tested for worms and parasites, etc.
    How much are you feeding, and how often?
    Sometimes giving a good human grade probiotic and digestive enzymes can help.
  15. Coco Pappy

Coco Pappy New Member

Name:
    AJ
    He just had a comprehensive exam less than a month ago and he was negative for worms, parasites, etc. Vet said he's about 5 or so pounds underweight, but healthy. I've been giving him between 1 3/4 to 2 cups twice a day. Like I said earlier, I noticed that around the times that he has these random "blowouts", he refuses food by hiding his bowl under a blanket to save it for later, sometimes at both feedings. Either that, or he only eats about half a serving. I'm still figuring it out.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Coco really is so handsome - I love that last picture of him with you where he is showing his teeth and almost giving you the stinkeye for some reason!

I cannot help you with regard to what you call 'random "blowouts"' but when you say you are "still figuring it out" I hope you do soon.

Regarding his weight, you say his vet says he is about 5lb underweight - unless he is losing weight I do not think I would worry, but I would rather have a slightly underweight [according to standard] than an overweight dog.
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If he is healthy otherwise and your tests at vet showed no parasites, then hopefully it's just a bout of random upset stomach and loose stool, If it gets more frequent then I'd worry.