Inverted test becoming engorged Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by KellyD, Sep 14, 2018.

1. KellyD

KellyD New Member

Name:
    KellyD

Inverted test becoming engorged

20180914_094045.jpg I'm worried about my 2 yr old Cavalier momma. Her pups are 2 weeks old and one teat has become engorged. The nipple is inverted and pups can't get a good hold of it. The milk is white so no mastitis but that is my concern. It is a middle teat. This is her first litter and yes her and sire have all their OFA health tests. This is a large litter of 7. I wonder if I should try to Express it or just let it dry up since it is a difficult teat for the pups to use. They wont use it unless I encourage them and then I hear them suck air and they often leave a raised bump on the side. I'm afraid they will make a blister that could get infected. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Congratulations on having such a large litter for a Cavalier. As long as the teat feels soft, I would hold a warm flannel against it, and then see if I could gently encourage the milk to flow more freely. Try and get your strongest puppy to latch on and the teat shape should gradually begin to change.
    If you feel any lumpiness, or breaks develop in the skin surface, phone your vet. I would be reluctant to take the family into the waiting room though, because of the danger of infection. With all those babies to feed, she is going to need all her tests in working order!
    Good luck with your little ones.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @KellyD - how is momma Cavalier doing with the swollen teat? And how are the puppas doing? All well, I hope.