Is my Akita/Malamute big? General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Austin Roberts, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Austin Roberts

Austin Roberts New Member

Name:
    Austin
    Helidale likes this.

Is my Akita/Malamute big?

I have a 6 month old half Akita half Malamute. He's 28 inches at the shoulders and 100 lbs and lean. His mom and dad are both 120 lbs. I think he's gonna be bigger than them. I just don't want him to have joint problems. 20210902_155922.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    That’s probably going to be a big boy. I had an Akita that was about 120 lbs. He did end up with a shoulder issue which I think was from having him jump down out of the back of my Toyota 4wd pickup. He was long and lanky, even as a grown dog. I would suggest not encouraging your dog to jump far down off of things. But he’s a dog and he might think that’s fun.... I would be careful with how much you walk him a day, I believe the recommendation is 5 minutes a day per month. So if he’s 6 months old, 30 minutes of walks a day. Too much can damage their growth plates.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    He looks mostly akita to me, but I see the slightly longer coat. At first I thought he was a long coated akita
  5. Austin Roberts

Austin Roberts New Member

Name:
    Austin
    Yeah, I think he looks more Akita too. He looked more Akita a few months ago. The Malamute has slowly appeared present in his looks. He was in a littler of seven. There were 5 of them that were pure white. Funny little mix but i had to get one. Lol