Is this a dalmatian thing . . . or a 'me' thing??? Questions

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by Where's Wally?, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Where's Wally?

Where's Wally? New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Is this a dalmatian thing . . . or a 'me' thing???

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the sort of post we're meant to have in the dog clubs, so correct me please if I'm wrong, but I wanted to ask the opinion of other dalmatian handlers how they get on with behaviour and training . . .

My dalmatian, Harvey, is almost 5 months old and my first dog. We've now done about 10 weeks of puppy training (two classes per week) plus I do short bursts of training every day but . . . he is ALWAYS the worst pup in the class!!!! Harvey is just like a toddler and teenager rolled into one big furry spotty bundle. He is perpetual motion (no problem with that, mind you), a remorseless thief, especially when it comes to laundry (SOCKS :shock: !!!!!) and food and, despite reading all I can and implementing what I read with as much consistency as I can muster, he STILL jumps up and mouths/bites (especially if I get down onto the floor with him). Oh, and he pulls on the lead like a pack of huskies, unless I use a Gencon all-in-one head collar and lead (like a slip lead but goes around his muzzle and then behind his ears).

Everyone else's labrador/golden retriever/spaniel/collie/GSD in class seems to be doing just fine. Harvey knows all the commands at class and is perfectly capable of doing all of them . . . when he's in the mood or focussed on a treat. But he sees another dog and just ignores me!!!

Am I just the worst dog handler in the world (very, very possible, but I have been trying very, very hard :blush: ), is this just a puppy thing or have any other dalmatian handlers found their spotty dogs, erm, challenging to train??

Harvey is, btw, absolutely delicious in a million ways and I adore him. I'd just love him to be better behaved ;) .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Aw Sarah! Love!

Don't worry! Takara is exactly the same.

It does seem to be a dally thing (especially pups) they're very clever dogs but that brings consequences. If you don't move on and teach them something else quickly enough they lose interest!

don't worry - where I go there are lots of dalmatians. There's one lady with a pup a few months older than T but not yet an adult - she's as batty as anythign too! But - there's also some at training that are really good. Very focused and bright but still easy to lead astray!

He'll get there don't worry! I'm sure he's not doing as badly as you think and it has nothing to do with you.

Just be really strict. People will get at me for saying this but they need a REALLY firm hand - don't be unkind or violent of course - but VERY strict. Stand for NO nonsense.

If he mouths or bites stand up straight away and leave him (you'll have to do this A LOT and Takara is a little younger than Harvey I think and she hasn't learnt either).

As for training - keep it as short as possible but keep it varied. Keep up with original tricks - keep training him to sit etc. but also get him to do things as a game. I taught Takara the names of her toys and got her to bring them and she thinks it's a great game to bring her lead when I say walkies and get a treat!

Do you use a clicker? Takara responds really well to her clicker and you can shape his training so that you raise the goal posts as he learns.

As for walking to heel... oh heck! Takara's the same! I have started taking a lot of time over walks.

Here's what I do... when we go on walks I don't ask her to heel - because she won't. I don't say anything when she pulls - no command or anything and I wait for her to let the lead go slack. As soon as the lead goes slack AT ALL even if it's just a little, I click and treat if she's close enough. Click every time the lead goes slack. If you don't have a clicker - get one! She is learning that the click comes on that precise moment whereas praise will miss that moment of her relaxing.

Eventually he'll hopefully start walking on a loose lead, then you can shape his behaviour to be closer to you.

Then once a week - I take her to my friend's dance hall that isn't used on a Friday. I take her off lead and take one step and if she follows me and stays by my side, click and treat. 3 steps click and treat, etc etc.

Hope this helps a bit! I've found that trying to get her to walk at my side makes matters worse - start off easy and raise the goal posts as he starts to relax on walks!

Good luck! Let me know how you get on and don't worry! There's very few dallies that cotton on straight away! just be firm and consistent and try keeping things fun - teach her games that will improve her obedience. If you want to borrow my book on clicker training - let me know and I'll send it you.
  4. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    ooh! just thought!

if he bites - don't leave the room because this will make him think he can bully you (or it did with T).
    We taught Takara 'gently' so that if she bites we say 'ah! gently' and she licks instead :lol: and also when giving a treat she doesn't get it if she snaps for it.

Also - I have started getting someone to help me when training at home. Try getting someone to distract him while you're training him. Get them to wave a high value object around and offer it him (don't give it him) while you try to get him to focus on you.

Say his name. As soon as he looks at you click, then when he comes to you, click and treat. He will soon learn that he gets nothing from going to distractions but lots more praise and food for staying with you! This will help in the park when there are other dogs around, and at training when you want him to focus on you not other dogs.

If you know anyone with a dog try and get together to train together so that he's used to training around other dogs. I know he goes to training once a week, but he'll pick up a lot quicker if it happens more than once a week!

Hope this helps!
  5. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Name:
    Roxy
    After having Dalmatians for many years I can tell you they can be a little harder to train, due to their lack of attention span. LOL. Dalmatian pups are so full of energy and Max is now 8 years old and he still can outrun most puppies and young dogs.
  6. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    yup agree Roxy!

However - don't use it as an excuse for his behaviour Sarah.

I know someone who's dogs are mad and misbehaved and it's 'oh they're dalmatians' :shock: :-(
    And if I say that Takara has been naughty people say 'what do you expect - she's a dalmatian!'

This really bugs me - they shouldn't be given up on just because they're dals (in fact they're extra special in that case!)

Keep going - you'll get there ;-)
  7. Where's Wally?

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi Lottie

Thanks for your reply. Harvey is absolutely adorable (apart from when destroying something I love!) and really good fun but when he behaves badly I'm starting to wonder if it's just me - in which case, I don't know what else to do or read!!!

Yes, I do this, but he doesn't seem desperately bothered, I have to say :rolleyes: . I keep going because I figure nothing's instant . . . I'll just keep on (and on and on!!).

To be honest I think I'm running out of tricks to teach him. I'll keep my eyes open for a book of tricks - any website recommendations for this? I saw a clicker used at Discover Dogs at Earls Court the other week and was really impressed (and Harvey is, after all, led by his stomach :) ) so I'm getting a clicker and Karen Pryor's book for my birthday next week - not long to go! I'm interested to hear Takara is getting on well with that. I hope it will help keep Harvey motivated.

I am at least a bit heartened to see on the BDC site that this is clearly a bit of an issue for lots of dally handlers. I suspect initially this was my fault. Because my garden wasn't completely secure at first I only let Harvey out on an extending lead - and of course with those, the more you pull, the further you go :rolleyes: . So I didn't start well on that, admittedly. I also do the change direction thing with him and I'm unmovable on expecting him to sit when told if we're out - I'm sure all my neighbours think I'm very unfair on Harvey (and that he hardly gets any exercise, as we never get very far when he's having to walk to heel without the Gencon halter!!!!)!! But I hope I'm not unkind, just adamant that he must do as I ask. It sounds like the clicker might really help here too. Roll on next week!! How long have you been using clicker with Takara now?

I just feel so stressed by and so inadequate at our puppy classes!!! And although we're building up the 'leave' command (he'll leave his food until told he can eat for ages - and I can leave the room and he'll still not touch it), he is so opportunistic if there's food in the kitchen - and of course, he's now big enough to reach right to the back of the worktops by lightening-fast extension of his tongue . . . a bit like one of those lizards!!! :lol:

Well, I'm a little reassured to think it might not all be my fault :blush: - I'll keep working at it. Thanks, Lottie!
  8. Where's Wally?

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi Roxy

Thanks for your reply.
    Yep, definite lack of attention span! But I LOVE the way he can run like the wind - it makes walking off lead such fun, with those ears flapping!! :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
  9. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Name:
    Roxy
    When I took my Gerald and Zoe to puppy training they acted just the same but I persevered and eventually the penny dropped with them as to what was expected.

Now Max I rescued at the age of 5 and he didnt really have any training, and was extremely skittish and wilful, but I proved you can teach an old dog new tricks. Hes not a perfect dog but I can let him off lead and recall him, and he understands far more than he lets on.
  10. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Sarah -

Only been using the clicker for about a week (and got Karen Pryor's book - very good) and seen a big turn around.

I had the same problem with the garden and let Takara out on an extending lead. Don't worry though - like Roxy says you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes a while.

Karen Pryor's book is especially good for 'established pullers' and how to get them to walk on a loose lead. Don't feel like a failure with the halter - the book also says that you can use one of these on pullers just while you're teaching them to walk on a loose lead and then you can stop using it once they've learnt.

I know what you mean about the food - I suppose that definitely is a dally trait they have another term instead of 'dalmatian' you know. It's 'fridge thief' :lol:
  11. Dalmonda

Dalmonda New Member

Name:
    z
    Dizney is a crazy dog. Thankfully most people think its funny and other dogs just give him the "what on earth are you doing, you crazy dog!" look. lmao
  12. kameo

kameo New Member

Hi

I had Dalmatians (plural) way back in the 1970's, doesnt sound as if they have changed much :D .
    They are all of the aforegoing, I eventually came to the conclusion that contrary to some opinion they are VERY bright as a breed (in their own interest of course) which is a different thing to clever and obedient.
    Mine especially my liver dog also had a quirky sense of humour and the ridiculous, this I think leads to the "nicking things " behaviour.

I adored mine - kind, firm, persist - and share the joke !! would be my course of action GOOD LUCK it will be VERY well worth it ;) :D :D
  13. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    all good advice...... you DO need to be firm, persistent and make sure you are the pack leader!
    To give you some encouragement - Polo's son Nugget became (we think) the youngest Dalmatian to achieve The KC Good Citizens GOLD award and his grandson Skittle also achieved gold, (14 months - a bit of a b****r so harder work!) he is now doing competitions in agility.
    So it can be done! :lol:
    The North of England Dalmatian Club holds obedience and agility competitions the day after their Champ show, I stayed one weekend and there were LOTS of entries and they looked FAB! Brough a lump to my throat watching Dallies do the weaving poles and jumps just as quick and acurate as the collies! The obedience was also a good standard and a joy to watch.
    Other Dals have done skateboarding, heelwork to music and other things needing a high level of training. They like to be busy - and use their brains - so once they catch on, they don't forget it and take a pride in performing!