It is so difficult to choose a breed! Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Kitkat_, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Azz likes this.

It is so difficult to choose a breed!

I have been thinking about German Pinschers, Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Azawakhs.

I am pretty sure I will get either a Ridgeback or an Aza, but my mind can change between the breeds several times a day. I ADORE Azawakh, they are stunning and my dream breed, but Rhodesian Ridgebacks have the most beautiful heads, are a bit easier in temperament and are also more suited to bikejor and weight pull which I would like to try. I think meeting the breed and talking to the owners is what is going to sway me one way or the other, it is just so confusing in my head being pulled to both lol.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    I have been really attracted by some of the German Pinschers, if I was twenty years younger I could be VERY tempted.
  4. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    Yes, I'd never really taken notice of German Pinschers before, but must admit I've taken a liking to them recently.

If you get an Aza Katie, you need to start a thread here so we can all follow pup's progress. I love them too :) Would you still have to import?
  5. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Someone I am facebook friends with owns and breeds German Pinschers and they are great. But I also would like a bigger dog, I have always wanted a bigger dog, smaller dogs are just more practical lol.

I did hear that some people here wanted to breed a litter but I heard that about a couple of years ago and as far as I know haven't been done yet. There is two breeders I know that I like the look of, one in France and one in Germany, they work on using a lot of imported dogs to keep inbreeding low and I love the look of their type of dogs.

At the moment I am leaning back towards Rhodesian Ridgeback lol.
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    You are so right @Kitkat_ . It is difficult to choose a breed especially with so many awesome dogs out there.
  7. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Okay at Discover Dogs yesterday, I met the German Pinschers and I met the Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I talked to the owners. I talked to the owners of the Canaan Dogs and Hungarian Wire-haired Vizsla, I had a talk to a few people on other breed stands too. None really jumped out as "my" dog. I would still like to meet German Pinschers and Ridgebacks in a more natural enviroment. But the breeds that really stood out to me at the show were of course the Greyhounds and Sloughi. So now feeling even more confused I think maybe an Azawakh might be the breed for me and I should give up on my super high expectations of a breed to do so many things.
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yes, I did get 'that' feeling when I met the Hovawart for the first time. No other breed has really entered my radar since discovering them, even though I do have a great love for the Azawakh myself.

It's a shame the Aza wasn't at DD. They were in attendance one year at Crufts DD and the ladies on the stand were very informative and helpful and we ended up chatting for well over 30 mins or more on what was a very busy and packed hall as you can imagine.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Seeing them in person is the best thing Katie - sometimes even from different breeders.

When I went to see Rocky, the breeder let Rocky's dad out and at first I was scared (Presa's are much bigger than I expected!) but when he looked into my eyes I just saw a kindness in him and just fell in love. Rocky had exactly the same eyes :049:

I think that 'spark' is important - and I'm guessing you haven't experienced it yet... keep looking until you do :mrgreen: