jack russell trys to bite, clean his paws Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Eddiecaz, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Eddiecaz

Eddiecaz New Member

Name:
    Carolyn

jack russell trys to bite, clean his paws

Hi am new to the site ,Have a jackrussel cross yorkie who is nearly two, my problem with him is when he comes in from my garden he not happy me cleaning his paws I've always wipe then dry with a towel as i don't want paws marks everywhere , he tries to have a go a biting me every time and i tell him no , is this common in this type off breed , never had jackrussell before ,all he doesn't like beening in the car he shakes ,but like his walks when we get there .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Lots of dogs don’t like their feet being touched,I found the best way is to sit on floor/chair and get him to lie beside you and spend a week or longer just working on being able to touch his feet gently touch his paw once or twice then treat with a titbit, gradually building it up, until he is comfortable with them being touched.

You could also play the fun trick ‘shake hands ‘https://www.thespruce.com/train-dog-to-shake-paws-1117295

If he is free in the car then a small crate might give him more security .
  4. Bumbleweed

Bumbleweed New Member

Name:
    Paul
    I know this thread's a couple of months old but my JRT does this thing some evenings where he nibbles in around his toes whimpering as he does. He doesn't seem distressed and I can see no soreness and he lets me touch his paws - the noise he makes is more like a 'loving it' type of noise. He also uses his rear paws to scratch the back of his front paws, again making the noise, licking his lips and raising his head. At his last check-up the vet couldn't provide any answers. Any ideas?
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    This sounds like either a simple irritation or an allergic reaction to me.
    I would suspect a food allergy, but it could also be caused by something like baby nettle stings, or a soil or grass allergy. You could try testing this out by using an antihistamine - Piriton tablets are widely recommended as being the safest for dogs. You can check the dosage on Google.
    Otherwise, I would look at his diet. Dogs with itchy feet usually do better fed on a quality grain free food. Occasionally, it can be the protein source which is the problem, so try changing that to something he hasn't had before, - lamb, duck, or white fish, for example.
  6. Bumbleweed

Bumbleweed New Member

Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Carole. I have thought of some of those, it's just odd that he only does it in the evening. He does it for about 2 minutes then it's over, so with the absence of any outward signs and the vet not seeing anything I make the assumption that it's just something he does as a routine, perhaps nibbling away any dirt.

He eats well - a mixture of Butchers or whatever meat we're having with some rice and peas. I know it's not a nettle sting as he's had that a few times and he shakes and flicks his paw.