Japanese Akita weight! Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Starr.19, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Starr.19

Starr.19 New Member

Name:
    Zara

Japanese Akita weight!

Hi, This my 1st time posting. I’ve signed up to try and get some advice.

I have a beautiful 9week old Japanese Akita. He is currently still on wet food but we about to wean him into dry. He gets fed half a tin three times a day (which is what we was advice to do by breeder) I’ve just weighed him and his currently 7kg. But google is saying a puppy at 3months should be between 12.7 & 18.2kg..
    I’m like going out my mind with worry incase his underweight.. is there any advice anyone can give me.

thank you for taking the time to read this.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    You can't compare the weight at nine weeks to weight at three months!
    It sounds as if this breeder had no experience of rearing large breed puppies. I would start by mixing a good quality large breed kibble with the canned food that he has been on. You might need to soak it for the first couple of feeds, but once he gets to enjoy the crunchy texture, you can begin to phase out the tinned meat. Always make any changes in diet gradually to be sure that it will not upset his digestion.
    He will be whatever he will be, and all you can do is to make sure that he eats well enough to maximise his growth potential. Don't worry too much, he probably will catch up.