JRT Problems House Training Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Kristine_D, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Kristine_D

Kristine_D New Member

Name:
    Kristine

JRT Problems House Training

Hi All
    I’m new to this forum, hoping someone can help.
    My JRT is almost 6 months and I still am struggling with the house training.
    I watch her, take her out regularly and she sleeps in a crate at night and sometimes during the day.
    Sometimes she stands by the door to go out and other times she will just squat and pee right in front of me.
    I have read many books and try to follow all the rules and I’m still struggling. I take her out to the same place, give her praise, watch her, take her out after she eats, limit the area she lives in etc etc.
    She holds it all night but sometimes I will take her out, she will go and then 20 minutes later she will pee on the floor. I don’t believe she has health issues because it’s nit consistent and she can hold it for hours when she’s sleeping.
    Today I was playing tug a war with her and she just did a squat and peed I wasn’t even sure she did it because it was so strange but she did.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Kristine
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Kristine to you and your JRT bubba and welcome to Breedia from Tikki Tikva and from me. :039:

Your bubba is still a bubba with no real control. Or even sense of control. Some do, some do not. My little horror eeped to go out for a pee this morning but the time I was able to get her from her crate she took one look at the rain - and pee'd on the door mat. And she is not a bubba and she definitely has control. But go out in the rain? :rolleyes:

I cannot advise you Kristine as I do not have the answers that many more do. I hope someone comes along who does the answers for you. For me and Tikva the situation is different and we get along as things go.

Juli & Tikki Tikva xx
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Oh you must be getting really fed up and with that probably not enjoying your time with her as much as you wanted
    I’m sorry I can’t give any useful advice, I’m sure some will come to you from someone, they may ask the question “ does she ever go to the toilet in her crate ? “
    I’m not sure if that is significant or not
    Following you journey with great interested with a hope to learn something new
    Welcome to the group, I have found it really helpful and supportive with my boy
    Philippa x
  5. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    6 month --- she still learns how to control it , keep training her don't give up .
    how much time do you have her ???
    look for some mistakes that you may have done unconsciously,
    1. clean where she have peed don't leave any smell for her to recognize she might follow the smell and do it in the same place.
    2. take her out more times(more frequently) to do her needs until she will grow a little more she may control it better.
    3. check if you are giving her enough attention. sometimes dogs do it on purpose to drag our attention , more playing and releasing energy, more petting ...
    4. try leave her around without being in the crate and if she will pee just lift her and go fast outdoors.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Jhony - learning control and having control - and training are not always the same. My mini monster 2 years and probably 8 months old does have full control but if I cannot get out of bed quick enough when she eeps to get out of of her crate and manage to get to let her outside, yes, she will pee in her crate. And if it is bucketing down with rain she will pee on the doormat because she will not go out in the rain.

Not every day but if she needs to pee then then will pee. She knows what she is doing and no, it is not spaying incontinence - she needs to pee now and I am too late to get her out.

Which is why during our rainy season I put a puppy pad down for her by the front doof and she knows what it is for. Because I know she will not go out when it is bucketing down.

Each to his/her own, but it is rather difficult training a 3 week shrimp than training her how to behave on puppy pads. Especially when I cannot go out myself when it is raining.

I am very proud of my little Tikva in that she knows what and how and where to to do what at such times.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    That sounds like she peed through excitement which lots of puppies do when they get excited and should grow out of.
    Does she have a set routing, feeding, sleeping, walks, playing ect:

I would go back to basics, taking out every half hour and use a key word so that she associates that word with trying to go. Take her out on a lead and if she doesn't go after a few minutes go back in and try again in half an hour or sooner, look for signs that she’s about to go indoors lift her and take her to the garden and give a command if she goes give lots of praise .

A visit to the vet for a UTI test might be worth doing if things don’t improve as
    urinary tract infection can result in excess urination and the inability of the puppy to control where and when it urinates.
  8. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries

i guess it varies a lot from dog to dog mostly from breed to breed .
    my Akita can stand 20 hours in the extreme cases without doing his needs.
    he never peed or pooped at home since 6-8 month old (exception: illness and diarrhea)
    the period of him learning was gradually elongated so that he learned to wait. there is no such thing that your dog will pee because you have let him wait another 5 minutes . if you really exaggerate i can understand him doing it at home. but the dog should learn to wait for you to go out . when mine was a puppy i used to wake up very fast and directly go out with him then doing my own thing (drinking coffee get dressed etc)
    after 6 / 7 month of old it was the opposite i do everything then i get him out and even if he made some sounds i would raise my voice a little and tell him to wait , i cant even remember the last time he was so hurry to go out . today i just take him out twice a day and he has no accidents at home.
    dogs tend to check us and compete with us for dominance if you will not make any change with your dog behavior he / she will continue with " i will get what i want when i want it" so she will pee to get you out of bed because its working for her. we all should teach some discipline to our dogs. if she is afraid from the rain it is a sign of a little anxiety so u should do the opposite and go out with her in the rain to solve her problem so she can see that there is nothing to be afraid of , socializing a dog its not just about seeing people and dogs but also about letting it know different situations of the outside world and nature such as weather changes so it can get used to it ....
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hang in there. Some dogs take longer than others for it to 'click', but once the lightbulb goes on, it tends to stay on.

At the stage you are at, keep it at taking her out after sleeping, eating, drinking, playing and every waking hour in between. Praise liberally when she has performed and try to totally ignore errors.

She will get it, but as said, some take quite a while for it to click
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I have been lucky enough to had an odd puppy house clean at 10 weeks, but it is quite common for puppies to still be having accidents at 6 months. I agree with taking her back to basics, and taking her out after every feed, drink, or sleep, - and at regular intervals in between.
    Do not tell her off for mistakes, this only creates anxiety and makes things worse. Just say 'Oh Dear', and pop her out to remind her where she should have gone. Clean up with a biological cleaner rather than disinfectant. Don't worry, it will come right.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And that is just as what little Tikki and I have done. Taking her out in the the rain is impossible for me, so if she needs to pee on the indoor door mat or on a pee pad, then let her. After all, I can not go outside and pee out side so what?

Sometimes it is not dominance or "I can hold my pee better than you". You do not know my Tikva and you do not know me. But Tikva somehow knows that I am severely disabled and that if she pees in her crate or on the floor mat, it really does not matter.

Tikva will not go out in the rain. I can not go out in the rain. None of my wheels can go out in the rain due to possible damage to motors.

So if Tikki wants to pee on the indoor mat so what?
  12. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    well i am really sorry to hear that i sincerely apologize. but from where should i know such a thing . you said yourself that i don't know you , you mentioned nothing of it in your post .
    sorry if i made you angry . i posted a response for Kristine_D to help her since i got trained my dog well and i have seen success . i also had some problems when my dog was 6 month old but now no longer that's why i responded ,to help , you respond to my response then i answered you ,i didn't mean to heart u i meant no harm . sorry again .
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No problem and no insult intent intended - the small person I love has her ways and I accept her and love her as she she, To me she is perfect. But even I have to admit it that she is not 100% perfect during the summer - she is who she is and a small pee does not bother me. I love her none the less.

And oh how I love that little girl [who is not my epi girl in my avatar]. Tikva and I have to live and work things out together, and I just love her so much. [Even though she has just given me yet another black eye]
  14. LokitheJRT

LokitheJRT New Member

Name:
    Mike
    I was able to house train a 7 week old puppy in about 2 weeks. These are the things that worked for me

1) Crate Training: Unless I was able to give my puppy full attention, he stayed in his crate. I found he would not have accident's in his crate without notifying me he needed to use the bathroom due to him not liking to go in his personal area.

2) Redirection: Anytime my puppy made a mistake, I interrupted with a loud noise, and immediately took him to the right spot to go.

3) Potty Command: As my puppy did his business I would repeat verbal commands as he went (pee, poo, etc). This is likely the most valuable step I took because my puppy learned to go the bathroom on command when I ask. A clicker is a great tool for this exercise to get the dog to quickly understand that they did what you wanted them to do.

4) Praise: After my puppy went in the proper spot, I immediately showered him with tons of genuine praise (yes, good boy) or used a clicker and rewarded with a treat.

5) Litter Training: Using a litter box sped up the house training process and made my life so much more easier when training my puppy. I first taught him the box was his appropriate place to go and rewarded him heavily for going there. Then I added in the potty commands. Now my puppy is able to go in the litter and in the grass on command. The litter was so convenient because I didn't have to wake up at night or go outside if I didn't want to.

6) Clean up: Any accidents most be cleaned thoroughly and right away with water and cleaner to avoid further accidents in the same area.

7) Anticipation: If a puppy is on a routine schedule, they are usually going to go at routine times. I've found that my puppy passes stool in the early morning and the early evening and goes potty every approximate 3 hours, or more if he just woke up from a nap, played or ate.
  15. Kristine_D

Kristine_D New Member

Name:
    Kristine
    Thank you so much Steve.