JRT/Westie mix pees in blanket right after put in crate Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Joe Barrow, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Joe Barrow

Joe Barrow New Member

Name:
    Joe

JRT/Westie mix pees in blanket right after put in crate

So we have a 14wk JRT/Westie mix who is off the walls rambunctious, and she's hilarious and great. When we first got her, we put a blanket in her crate, and within an hour, she'd had an accident in it. Took it out, took her out, put a clean one in there, couple hours later, full of pee again. Fast forward a couple weeks, I put a fresh blanket in right after she'd been outside, peed twice, and pooped, and as soon as I put it in the crate, she peed it full, as if she was saving half her bladder just for that blanket... I took the blanket out, and she hasn't had **EDIT: A BLANKET, OR** an accident in her crate since, except the one day someone woke up before me, walked by her crate, and didn't take her potty... She also tries to push her blanket over her food dish... Like she's hiding it... How do we get her to stop peeing in her blanket in her crate?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have friends who had a bitch that did this every time she got in the car - just a little, not a real soaking.To me this sounds like an attempt to scent mark the environment. Have you tried leaving her with her, (just slightly), soiled blanket down?
    I think I would let it go without comment, and these episodes will probably pass. Puppyhood is a series of developmental phases. Chastising just creates anxiety - which makes them even more likely to wee!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Just a suggestion but what I did with my girl when she was a very young puppy was line her crate with a puppy pad and just put a small blanket at one end for her to sleep on. She was a lot younger than your puppy though but she only ever pee'd at the opposite end of the crate to where she slept, and not on her blanket.