Jules and Matisse General Chat

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by Dalmatianchloe, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Dalmatianchloe

Dalmatianchloe New Member

Name:
    Sharon Townsend
    Azz likes this.

Jules and Matisse

Who else thought that Jules and matisse on britains got talent were abolutely amazing?? how on earth does she get her dog to walk across a rope about six feet off the ground?? very well deserved winners
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, she did brilliantly as any dog could have failed on the day. However, there is a mini storm brewing, as the tightrope dog was a stunt double. The Dog Catcher was Jules 2013 Crufts routine, and the Toy Maker was her 2014 routine.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I loved the act, the dog obviously enjoyed it and the owner has such a bond with the dogs, she said in a interview that the dog on the tightrope wasn't the same dog, but many people watching and voting at the time didn't realise as she never brought the other dog out to show it had been a different dog doing that part, it would have been better had she brought all 3 out at the end to take their Bow.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Agree with the above, I wonder if she would have won if it was known it was a different dog that walked the tightrope.........which for me was not nice to see, loved the act EXCEPT making the dog walk a tightrope, it borders on abuse in my opinion,
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I don't watch the programme but did see a clip of the tightrope walking bit this morning and was cringing.

I can't see the problem with the 'stunt double' as I thought the programme was about finding human talent and as the human trained both dogs - what's the problem? If they were judging the dog, surely it would be Crufts not Britain's got Talent :)
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    A large proportion of the general public would be voting for the dog not the handler, also the act was Jules O'Dwyer and Matisse, not a number of dogs. Yes, Ms O'Dwyer is a very talented trainer but that's not the point, a lot was made of the relationship between the two of them and I'm sure that won them a lot of votes.

I’m not keen on the tightrope but I don’t think its cruel, the military have been doing it in demos for years as well as climbing ladders, through hoops of fire ect: there is the element of risk in any dog activity/sport.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Perhaps she be called Jules & her amazing dogs in the Variety show.

I thought she was brilliant & must of spent hours working with Chase for him/her to walk on the tightrope, so I can't see what the problem is whether it was Chase or Matisse, that did the trick it was still wonderful to watch (lot better then the balloon bursting dog) everyone at BGT knew Jules had more then one dog anyway, plus you could clearly see that it was not Matisse on the tightrope but indeed a different dog.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I never seen it, will have to look on youtube. I wouldn't consider that to be cruel.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Lot of fuss about nothing in my opinion, but isn't that always the case whenever a dog act appears anywhere?
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think that the tightrope move would not be allowed under KC Freestyle HTM rules, which forbid 'extreme' moves, though they do leave the interpretation of this to the judges.
    I think Jules showed discretion in using a dog that was capable of performing this move reliably, rather than risking the possibility of Matisse failing to complete it.
    All dogs do not share the same level of boldness or acting ability - for example, my late Tweed, and Eddie, have both done the identical police dog confidence training. Tweed was a natural, she negotiated 10 foot high ladders, swinging bridges, irregular log-end pathways and fire hoops, almost without any preparation. She had a natural sense of balance, and having lived as a street dog, she had great survival skills. Eddie showed typical small dog caution, and although by the end he did succeed, he didn't shine. However, Eddie was by far the better HTM dog as he loves learning trick moves, which Tweed hated!
    I agree with @Chris B, the actual talent is the trainer, what the dog contributes to the act is aptitude. @GsdSlave Yes. The stunt dog should have joined the others at the end, this would have looked more honest, and closed one line of criticism.

An afterthought: Two dog trainers have now won this competition, and a further one made the final. I wonder what would happen if the four most successful competitors in this sport decided to enter BGT?