Labernese - a new breed serving humans. General Chat

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by chaz, May 3, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Labernese - a new breed serving humans.

I saw a bit about this on the telly the other day, what do you think?

http://www.mira.ca/en/our-dogs/8/the-labernese_37.html

If I remember right the most common guide dog is a golden cross lab, so maybe there is a need for crosses in work like this, I mean like they say on the site, these breeds were bred for different reasons, so I believe that maybe, if done right there is a need for crosses specifially bred to do this work, but I do wonder how many there was that didn't make the grade to begin with, and the percentages now, and think that it would be intresting to compare those to pedigree dogs that are doing the same job.

I have to say though, I am intrested in this breeding, with these people, for all that they say they do, to me looking at their health care it looks great, but then I am not a dog breeder, so others might see something I don't.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    hmmm...not a hybrid, its a cross breed.
  4. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Some call crosses hybrids, same as you get hybrid vigor in dogs and other animals.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I often wonder why people continually undermine the credibility of their views by using incorrect terminology which then begs the question "how much do they really understand about what they are doing and why"?

Anyway, I thought from the title that I was going to be able to castigate a poster for the poor spelling of a nationality, but am now crestfallen that opportunity is not afforded me! :)

The jury is out where I am concerned........
  6. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    just googled them...they dont do it for me. BMD are one of my fave breeds.

A hybrid is something that is a cross of two species (Donkey x Zebra, Lion x Tiger, Dog x Wolf)
    A cross breed is where a species of animals has "types" or "breeds" (So Shire x TB, Labrador x Golden Retriever, Holstein x Frisian)
  7. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    What annoys me is the assumption (which seems to be made a lot when you speak up against fad crossbreeds) that people would be against these kind of crossbreeds because they are purebred extremists and don't want "their" breeds "tainted" by being crossed. Since when does that have to be the only reason to be against crossbreeding?
    Also if these breeders are so convinced that it's not a crossbreed, but a new selective breed of its own, why the stupid name? It doesn't need to be called a Labernese just because it's a Lab x BMD, call a French Service Dog or something that relates to its purpose/origins like other dog breeds, don't go along with the whole "cute" mix of breed names.
    I don't know either breeds well but I think I'd be wary of crossing the Lab, known for its fondness of fond, and a breed prone to hip dysplasia, with a heavy set dog like a BMD - ouch, poor joints!
  8. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Must admit I was worried about the joints, which is why I was pleased to see these on the health page.

9. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I quite agree Krlyr
  10. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I know a lady whose blind, and has service dogs. Her first Seeing Eye dog was a Lab, she had to send it back... was useless, apparently. Her second was the afformentioned Lab x BMD. who was the perfect guide dog (in her opinion) he was brilliant, and she felt totally comfortable with him, and trusted him completely... unfortunately, he died young, due to a common problem with the BMD. then she got a GSD, who died young due to Kidney failure. Now she has a Lab x Golden, whom she likes alot, but he's nothing compared to her "labernese"... according to her.

I dont believe in breeding dogs, unless there is a reason behind it, I dont care if it's a mutt or a purebred. Unless there is a purpose for breeding the dogs, then there is no reason to breed... to me, it looks as if they have a purpose, and a good one at that... as long as there isn't another run on the designer "Labernese" and everyone and their mother begin to breed them (like the Labradoodle), then ok by me.
  11. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    if there is a reason for creating a new breed (for example Goldies x labs apparently make better guide dogs, or even x'ing Huskies with Pointers to make faster dogs, dalmatians with pointers for health) then I have not a problem with it. So long as the x is throughly researched. BMDs are renowned for poor health, so I wonder why they didnt choose a breed with similar attributes?
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Hybrid vigour doesn't occur when the two parents are closely related like all dogs are. It should occur when a dog is crossed with another member of the canid family(like a wolf)
  13. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    BMD's have poor health and a short life span... How does this help service dogs when crossed with a lab?
    Breeding 300 X bred pups a year seems a lot to me; I bet more than half of those do not make the grade either, and then the remainder of what is left, probably suffer with a health problem at some point and retire early.

If you have a dog that isn't right for the job, look at another breed IMO. Or breed fewer dogs, and look into taking rescue pups in for training? hmmm......
  14. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Being a Bernese person myself I do worry about the health problems of the breed and the hip and elbow problems also.

Crossing with Labs is worriesome as labs also have problems with hips. As for worrying about labs being greedy Bernese can be too.

I do hope a lot of thought and research has gone into this and if it has and it works for a specific reason all well and good.

I have seen some people jumping on the band wagon though two adverts on free ad sites UK advertising Labernese for £600 a puppy now this I do object too.