Labradors - Difference in head shape Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by Ramble, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble

Labradors - Difference in head shape

Met a lovely pup today...but the owner was talking about Labs having 2 different types of heads, a round head or a flat head? I haven't heard this before????
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I would think she means show V working!!
  5. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Yes..I thought that, but they said there were 2 different head types.I've not heard of that before.
  7. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    they do vary alot, especially working lines..i just googled and can see a lot of difference, and do remember from when i worked in boarding kennels that the pet bred type labs had more of a round, small head.
    Just poor breeding imo.
  8. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    They got the pup from a farm in Wales, where both mum and dad lived.
  9. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Both my labs have very big chunky heads. Up until the other day every lab I had met had similar heads to my boys, they just varied (and no one's was as big as Hamish's!!). Another keeper has a black lab that has a small round head, and we got talking about it. I did think she was crossed with something, but he assured me that she was actually very well bred.

When I first saw her, I thought she was a FCR x Lab, as her head looks more flat coat retrievery!

x
  10. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I think show labs tend to have broader flatter heads where working types tend to have more of a 'peak' at the top of the skull. The peaky bit is more prominent in pups and from what I have seen tends to flatten out a bit as they grow.
  11. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    As already said Labs tend to vary a lot dont they. I havent heard of "two types" of head specifically but am guessing she means the long nose and head V the Stockier broader head.
    There is a big difference between the show and working labs too.
    Here are pics of three different Labs heads!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Also Ramble you would know as I know you have worked with guide dogs but they seem to gettin taller and slimmer! i have seen a few guide dogs lately and they are more like a thin pointer (but yellow labs) thats the only way I can describe them lol! They are really tall!
  13. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Great pics, I see now.
    In fairness the vast majority of Labs people see as Guide Dogs aren't Labs they are Labrador X Golden retrievers...that's why they are taller and slimmer :)
  14. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Yes now I think about it I know they like that cross but dont get how that makes them taller and slimmer!! (But I dont know much about Goldens) :) They all do a fab job whatever they look like!
  15. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    The majority of Guide Dogs are that cross ( think its something like 80% but don't quote me!!!)
    GRs do tend to be taller and slimmer than Labs, which is why the crosses tend to be too.

I haven't known many full Labs in my time with them, a fair few full GRs but only a handful of full Labs, not sure why. Maybe just the dogs I've met though. Heaps and heaps and heaps of Labs X GRs
  16. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    I have seen thousands of Labs, mostly bred for health and temperament without regard for head shape. I enjoy the looks of the big square heads, but not all good Labs have them. Some are still big and square, but more rounded at the corners. Others have much smaller heads with sharper faces. The puppies all seem to be born with square heads, but some of them take other shapes as they mature.