Landscape Bark chippings - safe for dogs? Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Janet, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Landscape Bark chippings - safe for dogs?

Does anyone know if Landscape Bark is safe? We've got a lot on our flower beds - Bogie and Pepe have never shown any interest in it, but Chico the Chihuahua puppy is forever picking up pieces and running off with them. I take them away (as soon as I can catch him - you would not believe how fast they are!) and as far as I know he hasn't eaten any.

I've just sent an email to the manufacturer asking if they have been treated with anything potentially harmful, but just wondered if anyone here knows.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I don't think there is any chemicals in bark, but its been known for smaller pieces to get stuck in the throat and cause choking, or splinter and cause injury.

Cocoa mulch is the one to avoid as it does or did contain chemicals that were poisonous to dogs.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I think it is usually just chipping Janet - but I am not 100%
    sure tbh.

Please keep us updated if they get back to you :)
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    as far as im aware its just chopped up bark (i hope so anyway as its used in playgrounds) so for the pup its about the same as chewing on a stick, not harmful unless any bits get stuck
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's, CaroleC and Azz like this.
    Thanks everyone.

Yes, they got back to me very quickly - they said it's just chopped and sifted. I thought it was, but better safe than sorry!