Leg Problems and Breed Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lovemybull, Nov 25, 2014.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila

Leg Problems and Breed

Unlike some of you who have had dogs your whole life I'm still kinda new at this. Tell me about breed specific leg and orthopedic issues. Poor Callie is walking with his whole back leg in the air. He's clumsy on four legs never mind three. I made a vet appointment for this afternoon.

This happened before during the summer. Then he was just limping but still putting weight on it. I don't remember if it was the same back leg or the other one. They gave him an anti inflammatory and after a week or so he was fine.

My son is helping me with carrying him up and down the stairs and carrying him out to the yard. Old house with a zillion staircases. Even getting on chairs, beds, into the front seat of the car all very difficult for him even when he's feeling well. And he's young, probably not more than 3 years.

I know it has to have something to do with his build. Big head, neck and fairly massive chest on legs that look like they were made for another dog. Would getting those portable steps be a good idea? Maybe he's straining his muscles trying to get up and down off things? Suggestions?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Folding ramp.
    There fairly easy to build, or buy. The prices do range greatly though.

Bully breeds are kinda know for sprains, pulls and muscle tears.

I'm on the ED and HD end with always owning Mastiffs and Saints.
    I have padded wide and deep steps and a folding ramp for my truck, her suv he can step right in.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think you may be right about the conformation not helping. Hopefully it's just a sprain, but let us know what the vet says. Fingers crossed for you and Callie.
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Okayyyy well first things first, I work at a hardware store and pretty handy, steps I can make. Next thing is carpet skids so he has better grip on the stairs. The vet did xrays and basically my poor boys knees are blown out. Not as bad as they could be but in human terms I guess it's like a ten year old having knees like a sixty year old man.

Have pain meds and anti inflammatory...all told $300 and something, new to this...our cats have basically gotten their shots and fixed and they were good to go. Just have to make adaptions for my poor man somehow. We got glucosamine supplement. I've read mixed stuff about it for humans. Can't hurt, might help.

This kind of sounds like a bad country song, hubby has Parkinson's, my daughter is special needs and my pup has bad knees twang twang twang...Oy as long as you can find something humorous you don't jump ya know?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @lovemybull - poor Callie, dodgy knees are not at all nice, especially in such a young dog. Whether it helps or not I do not know but I give Pereg Glucosomine and Chondroitin with MSM, plus Sea Mussel Extract. Mainly as a preventative as she does some very fast and sharp about-turns when she is rushing about outside on her tether, although the times she has been limping [just gotten over one of these little episodes] it is always on a front leg - usually her front left leg.

With her, the limping is probably from leaping down from my rather high bed, taking running leaps over and back the three breeze-block wall at the side of my patio - not so much over as it is higher the other side, but the flying leap back etc etc etc. I did think of trying the supplements myself but decided that absolutely nothing will help my joints so did not bother.

Luckily neither of us have stairs or steps to worry about though.

Please give Callie and Sophie hugs from me xxx

[oh, and I love your "bad country song" and can emphasize perfectly with you!]I

My dog is an epi and I am a cr!p
    Well who cares about that
    It's only a blip

In the life that we have
    And the life that we love

The life that was given
    From Heaven above

But my doggy and I
    Well we love one and another
    So what else do we need
    'Cos we are no bother
    To anyone else

We are just a pair
    Of "different" folk
    A dog that is epi
    And me - what a joke

But to me she's just Pereg
    To her I'm just me

And that, my dear friends
    Is how
    It
    Should
    Be
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm so sorry to hear the news about Callie. You clearly are a strong, intelligent woman and will cope, but life isn't fair - you already have your share of difficulties. At least you know what you are dealing with now - and what to avoid Callie doing which could make things worse. Steady level walking will help keep those muscles firm, and the supplements may help too. She is a lucky dog to have found someone to care so much. Best wishes to you both.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry to hear about Callie, keep an eye on his weight and best to keep him on the leaner side, swimming if possible will also be good for him as he wont be weight bearing on his legs x
  9. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Oh dear while he loves his bath I think swimming he'd sink like a stone. But yes I have to get him on daily regular exercise after he heals up some. The vet said he's not overweight but don't want him getting any beefier. Thank you for all the kind words...Malka I love your song, we should work on an act with the pups, Callie on drums...