Living with a Bernese Mountain dog. Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Lynn, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Carole, Meg and Azz like this.

Living with a Bernese Mountain dog.

I have owned two of this wonderful breed.
    My first Ollie unfortunately had underlying health problems and we had to have him put to sleep at 41/2 years old. We thought it was a sudden thing when his back end went on post mortem it was discovered he had several rare and incurable diseases which we then were able to relate to his what we thought was laziness or stubbornness when younger and his dislike of other dogs nearby as he grew older and his shyness with strangers. He loved his family very dearly though.
    My boy Ollie in his healthier days.

[​IMG]

I am now owned by a very busy energetic almost 28 month old Bernese called Dillon.
    As a breed they are a little complicated with regards to training they can be very silly and can take between 2 to 3 years to mature mentally some longer I fear Dillon is in the latter category.

They were and still are in some places worked and their tasks could range from being in the mountains watching the flocks, they are not meant to be and were not bred to be guard dogs but watch dogs and to alert you to strangers. They have been used to herd cattle if you walk a Bernese especially off lead they tend to zig zag and this is their herding instinct and how they work and of course how most people see them at events pulling carts. They would walk steadily beside their master delivering milk round the villages. They can give the impression of being plodders and as they get older they do slow down but some youngsters can be very busy and they can take off at speed but do tend to expend their energy quickly and then need a rest but a healthy Bernese will be up and doing it again after a few minutes rest.

They can be very stubborn and think for themselves which can make training a bit of a challenge as they are also very sensitive and will dig their heels in if treated harshly or shouted at and can with draw into themselves.

They get along with other animals and people but can be a bit over the top in their greeting and if you have small children do need to be supervised they can be a mouthy breed and also boisterous and although not intentionally mean to knock over or bite they can bruise the skin badly they have a mastiff type jaw and are classed in the Molasser breed.

With consistent training they do get over this but they can teeth till around 2 years of age the teeth when through can take a while to settle into the jaw.

They do need grooming at least two to three times a week and more in the Summer to remove the undercoat. They are also susceptible to heat stroke.

If you are house proud this is definitely not the dog for you they shed heavily in the warm weather love being out in the cold and rain and snow and are generally mud magnets even if not intentionally.
    They can also drool most don't but some do my Dillon does especially if food is around. He has loose flews not uncommon in the breed but they are meant to be dry mouthed compared to Newfoundland's and St. Bernard's.

If you work all day probably best not to get this breed neither of mine have suffered with separation anxiety and can be left up to 6 hours on some occasions but not on a regular daily basis. They love to be around their people preferably on their laps or curled up next to them on the sofa and also if not on the bed in the bedroom at night.

When growing exercise has to be watched free running on grass is better for them as they can rest when they need and short lead walks till around 18 months at least. Some can have a high prey drive and the odd Bernese has been known to chase livestock, I feel not with intent to harm but more wanting to play but none the less if you feel your Bernese may chase then keep him on harness and long line so he cannot stress a farmers livestock and it all ends ups a sorry state of affairs.

They can have many health issues so if considering this breed do your research and ask the breed club for a list of breeders. At the moment the only health tests the breed club expect their breeders to adhere too is Elbow scoring and hip scoring they would like to make it compulsory for breeders to swab test for degenerative myelopathy too but as of yet I do not think this is compulsory.

So if after reading my life with a Bernese you feel this might be the breed for you and you are prepared for hair possible slobber and drool lots of training some tears but mostly laughter and in the case of the males a 100 pound + lap dog then go ahead you won't regret it. You may have days when you wonder what you have done but for the most part you will not regret having had the chance to share your life with this wonderful breed.

Just to add the Bernese will let you think they are a bit slow on the training side of things but don't be fooled they are an intelligent breed they just don't see letting you know is helpful to them.

My loveable sometimes exasperating boy Dillon.

Enjoying playing with friends.
    [​IMG]

Puppy days.
    [​IMG]

Little and large.
    [​IMG]

Dillon aged 2.
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. alice0675

alice0675 New Member

Name:
    Ali
    Sorry to hear you lost a dog so young, heart breaking :(

Dillion looks full of character and fun :049:
  4. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn

Thank you. Ollie was the second dog I have lost at that age the first was an Aussie ShepherdxRottie.
    Dillon is a character no mistake and can be a lot of fun too.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the lovely write-up Lynn - I am sure it will be a help to anyone looking into getting a Bernese :)

I will add a link to this thread from Dillon's featured photo - and it's lovely to see Ollie in the thread too :049:

Feel free to add to this thread as and when you feel like - I am sure over the years it will be read by many, many people...
  6. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Beautiful dogs you have Lynn :007: