Long lasting eye ulcer. Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Johntee, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Johntee

Johntee New Member

Name:
    john thorne

Long lasting eye ulcer.

Hi everybody, This is my first post so hello to all.
    I have a 14 year old male Staffie that has developed an eye cornea ulcer lasting for 3 weeks, despite eye drops from the vet it is getting worse, with the advice from my vet I have my dog booked in for an eye operation on tuesday morning. I know 3 weeks might not sound a long time to give, but I want to avoid any pain and suffering that the eye is giving to my dog, I have been trying to give drops in his eye for up every 4 hours.
    My question is has anybody gone through the same complaint as me and avoided letting there dog have the op with other treatment and medication, Its not so much the money, but I want to avoid if possible the trauma of the op. and the recovery. He had an ear hematoma op.three years ago and it was a testing traumatic time for us all and our Staffie.
    Any help and advice from other owners who have gone through the same experience would very much welcome. Many thanks johntee
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what operation has been suggested for your Staffs. Often the first move is to stitch the eyelids together temporarily to give the eye a chance to heal itself. This will look a little wonky, but it is non invasive and is well worth trying.
    If this is not the op. you mean, perhaps you could give us some more information.