Looking to get a NI General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by monosyllabic, Oct 10, 2008.

1. monosyllabic

monosyllabic New Member

Name:
    Ben

Looking to get a NI

Hi I was looking to rehome a Northern Inuit dog at my local cat and dog home but she had a lot of people interested in her and was already taken before i could take my dog down to see if they would get on ok.
    But the problem is I totaly fell for the breed. (my friend also rescued one a few years ago) I would really like to rehome a dog and give her a new life but i don't seem to be able to find any that need rehomed.
    So i have decided to get a puppy and would like some advice as to what to look for in a puppy and if anyone knows any breeders in my area (Dalkeith just outside Edinburgh)

I know some people have strong opinions on NI and i respect that but i am just looking for people to offer some help so i don't make the mistake and get a dog from a puppy mill or something like that.
    Thanks in advance
    Ben
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    I was going to say exactly the same as Louise. Given the health/politics/irresponsible breeding issues going on within the breed at the moment, I would definitely wait. Unfortunately it might be a long wait!
  4. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    After reading your post a Kieser chief's song sprung into my head.:lol:

Like Louise i dont think just now is a good time to be considering an NI pup but if you are set on getting one make sure your breeder has had the sire, dam & pups DNA'd. Make sure the sire & dam have had relevant hip & eye tests done. Ask to see all these things. In fact maybe we should all contribute to a list of questions for you to ask. Any decent breeder will not mind you asking questions no matter how many you have.
  5. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    As the others have said i do not think the present time is right to be getting a pup but i am sure there are others available to rehome out there.
  6. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hello,

I was going to PM you as i can't put links up on here but as you are still new i cant! Anyway, I have a lovely 6 month old NI pup and would say to make sure the breeder is reg either with the NIS or TIDA, has all health test done and that you go and meet them when there are no puppies around to sway any choices.
  7. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    Btw how is Fido getting on? He had dog aggression issues didn't he? How is his training/settling going?
  8. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Razcox buying a Tida or NIS dog isnt worth the paper they are writing the fake pedigrees on. In fact I would advise to stay clear as none are DNA testing and are so inbreed with Mahlek you are asking for trouble and heartache.

I personally would try Cry wolf the guy really loves and looks after his dogs and are healthy and live in lovely big kennels so ethical as well. And they are mesmerising to look at.

Good luck in what ever you do and well done doing research even though its hard and we want lots of pics when the pup arrives.
  9. Daysleeper40

Daysleeper40 New Member

Could somebody elaborate on exactly which health tests should have been done for the OP? I do agree that the idea of a list of questions to ask would also be helpful - I have never purchased a pup from a breeder myself (all resues for me!) so I don't feel particularly qualified to help but for starters I'd ask:

Health tests - which ones for NI's I'm not certain - with proof.
    To see both parents if possible.
    To see the areas that the dog's live in and how they interact.
    To be able to meet with and talk to breeder without being surrounded by cute pups.
    Details of the breeders past experience / litters.
    With the current situation I would also want to gauge the breeders reaction to talking about potential health problems / poor breeding practices that have gone on.

Anyone else want to add to the list?
  10. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hip scores under 17 for each parent with even side scores
    Eye tests clear
    Lines clear from epilepsy
    Lines clear from VWD

I would be hesistant to get a pup from a breeder who had both parents..Mainly because that usually means its been the easiest cheapest option to mate them,,NOT the best!!!
  11. monosyllabic

monosyllabic New Member

Name:
    Ben
    He is doing really well but still has problems with whole dogs coming to sniff at him so I have got some time booked in with a behaviorist to see if we can get him to be that happy dog he should.
    I guess I should really wait till he is happy with all dogs but the heart sometimes rules the head lol
    Is that someone on the forums?
    I never have time to get on much with a 4 month old son :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I will keep looking as these dogs just look fantastic but it seems every dog breed I like is illegal or got issues :(
    [​IMG]
  12. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    We have recently got an NI cross (now 6 months old) from Cry Wolf (no link but Google it) It has been an eye opener ever since. This is a fantastic breeder who will be able to give you excellent information & honesty. You should be warned that there "appear to be" significant health issues in the NI from a number of breeders, although the breed when in good nick, is fabulous. I suggest you continue with your research before jumping in and be sure that you can see verifiable pedigrees of (minimum) 4 generations which do not contaiin high numbers of repeat forebears.
    Good luck!

BTW see other thread for legality - generally speaking you would only need a license for a dog with a pure wolf as its parent or grand parent.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Why not go for a legal breed that has similar looks and less health problems then??
  14. monosyllabic

monosyllabic New Member

Name:
    Ben
    TBH I think that would be the better idea. I am going to research some malmute/huskey type dog breeders in the local area.

My eyes have really been opened to the world of dog breeders these last few days. :( no more head in the clouds
  15. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Louise - I'm ashamed at you!! we have thoroughly established that NI (& crosses with - excluding wolf as parent or grand parent) ARE LEGAL.:evil:

The health problems however are a big issue (as they tend to be with many pedigrees.)

All types have issues of one kind or another:roll:
  16. monosyllabic

monosyllabic New Member

Name:
    Ben
    Think she may have been replying to this comment i made.

17. Daysleeper40

Daysleeper40 New Member

I wasn't suggesting the breeder should have both parents - that's why I said "if possible". If I had the opportunity to meet the stud dog of a pup I as buying I would make the effort to visit though.
  18. Julio

Julio New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Sorry - :blush: I am obviously getting a little over excitable as I (and a number of other people) have spent a helluva lot of time checking out the whole legal thing!! and you did ask about NI in the first instance.

The health thing however is why we "plumped" for Cry Wolf having originally been looking to "replace" (you never can) our GSD. We also fell for the whole Wolf lookalike thing & his crossings with his research into backgrounds of the dogs swayed us.
  19. monosyllabic

monosyllabic New Member

Name:
    Ben
    I have had a look at the site you are talking about and I am very Impressed. The illegal dog i was talking about was a pitbull btw (just to clear that up :) )
    I was also looking in to ridgebacks but after speaking to a few breeders i got put off them. (the breeders not the dogs)
  20. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Sorry I am just being nosey now but what put you off a Ridgeback :001:
  21. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Hello Julio

IF NIDs are so unhealthy, how do you know that the ones in your dogs lineage are healthy? If you feel so strongly about it maybe you should've got a full wolf dog rather than a 'controversial' cross.