LUpus? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Margo8478, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478

LUpus?

max is 4 months and the other day I noticed what I thought was just a little cut on his nose, but then today I noticed it is spreading, I posted the pics on a FB page and people said LUpus and now I’m freaking out, honestly was hoping it would be cause he eats out of a plastic bowl. Anyway here are the pics from the first day I noticed, and a couple days later. ( it’s also now a little but on the top of the nose but hard to see in the second pic. ( I thought is was because he has been having more outside time and playing more with the other dogs) Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Here’s an upclose pic

Attached Files:

4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    1 - If in doubt consult your vet.
    2 - FB and Google are not vets.
    3 - Stop panicking.
    4 - Check with your vet.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry if my above post sounded rather brusque - it was not intentional and I have only just realised that I missed out the second part of what I intended to say. And of course I have now forgotten what it was!

Anyhow, what would eating out of a plastic bowl have anything to do with those marks - not that I could see them?
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Best take him to the vet for a proper diagnosis.

What is that collar he is wearing?
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree, see your vet. There are so many possibilities you will drive yourself insane.

I would stop using the plastic dish anyway. They lose plasticiser over their lifetime until they eventually crack, but are worse when they are new. Very occasionally dogs can have a contact allergy to this chemical. Stainless steel or pottery are better anyway.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It looks like a part of his training harness
    [​IMG]
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Dont think so looks to far up his neck, and there is no sign of it going down his chest,plus it has a disc on it.
    68B31C59-FDEB-4CA6-827D-DC1C618BA0EB.jpeg
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Broad fabric martingale?
  11. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Thank you everyone ! I am planning on taking him to the Vet, the responses I got on my Facebook page are what scared me. Just wanted your opinions on it. I ordered metal bowls for all my dogs and will be getting them today, sometimes plastic bowls can cause weird bumps on the nose and muzzle of some dogs.

I just bought Max that collar, love it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Margo8478 likes this.
    Whenever there is a medical query, the first rule of thumb should be, if you need to ask, you need to see a vet.

There are way too many internet 'experts' and it's dangerous to say the least. I've seen quite a few 'wait and see' bits of advice when earlier treatment would have saved a lot of pain and heartache.

I hope all goes well at the vets. Let us know how you get on x
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The reason I asked is that it looks ever so wide especially for young pup, I don’t leave collars on indoors but if you are leaving the collar on while they are unattended then I would strongly suggest a breakaway collar for safety.
  14. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    It looks wider in the picture, it actually fits him really well. I never keep collars on the dogs while we are home but since I had just gotten it, I wanted him to wear it to get use to the feel. Thank you.
  15. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    Sent photos to the Vet and spoke with her and she said it’s just an abrasion, that if I can, to put neosporin on it, how I’m gonna do that without him licking it off I have no idea, but thanks goodness!!
  16. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Margo8478 likes this.
    See, the internet experts who were confident it could be lupus were wrong :)

The internet can be a wonderful place, but it's great for causing unnecessary worry and sometimes for causing quite a bit of harm

Glad you have your answer and can now get back to enjoying him without the worry.

They do like to have us tearing our hair out from time to time xx
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    How can a vet give a diagnosis from a picture or over the phone? It could be any number of things.
    Any vet I have attended would not give a Diagnosis without examining the dog, as far as I am aware , it is illegal for a vet to diagnose or treat a pet without examining it mainly for ethical and legal reasons.

If by any chance it was something serious, at worst you could lose your dog and vet would be in serious trouble.
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I don't take my dog to the vet for every scratch and scrape. Same as people don't take their kids to the doctor for every scratch and scrape. Looks minor to me from here, as well. I say to put a bit of the ointment on it and see how it does. If it worsens, then yeah you should see the vet... If not, then it'll heal up and he will be fine. To me, it looks like it's trying to heal already.

I doubt there is any threat of legal trouble for the vet. The vet cannot be responsible for a diagnosis not made in the clinic. If the owner does not bring the dog and only offers photos to guess off of, the vet is only trying to be helpful by offering any advice at all. Even if misdiagnosed in the clinic, I have never once heard of any legal ramifications here for crappy vets, and there are LOTS of them.
  19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I don’t either, the point I am making is that a vet cannot give an accurate diagnosis by pic/phone.

Quote it is illegal to diagnose or treat a pet without a patient/client relationship. If vets give free advice and something happens to the pet, the vets can lose their license.
    https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/just-for-fun/vets-giving-advice-by-phone-a-vet-speaks-out/

Veterinarians cannot respond to online questions about a pet. As Loenser pointed out: “Without a valid VCPR, it is unethical and in many cases, illegal, for a veterinarian to dispense advice.”
    https://www.aaha.org/pet_owner/life...te-for-advice-from-your-own-veterinarian.aspx
  20. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    She said it looks like an abrasion and due to the fact he is a 4 month old puppy that that is most likely what it is and suggested putting neosporin on it and keep an eye on it. If it worsens or I’m concerned she said to bring him in. I sent her pictures because I wanted her opinion on if she thought it was something serious or just a cut or scrape. Obviously if it gets worse I’ll bring him in but didn’t want to spend the money on what looked to me like a scrape unless she thought otherwise.