Lying, Cheating and Stealing... Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Toedtoes, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.

Lying, Cheating and Stealing...

I never thought I'd meet a dog that lies, cheats and steals, but Tornado-dog is that dog.

Lying - if he has something in his mouth and I ask to see it, he will quickly drop it and grab something else to show me. He will also set a toy next to me and if I reach for it, he grabs it back.

Cheating - when playing tug, he will give me the less comfortable end of the toy. And if I get the good end first, he will grab just below my hand so he can win and then will turn it around and give me the lousy end.

Stealing - he did this more as a puppy, but he still takes random things and puts them in a treasure pile. It is usually plastic and paper, but nothing is completely off limits.

I have watched him carefully during these behaviors and it is clearly intentional behavior. He knows exactly what he's doing.

And what can I do? I just give him a hug and tell him he's a clever boy.

So do your dogs have any vices?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I can't say Tally does anything that I would call deliberately naughty, her faults are more like breed characteristics. Like the majority of Beagles she is not allowed off lead unless she is in a safe area. Though her recall isn't bad, once a Beagle's nose goes down the ears put up a 'Situation Closed' sign. I also wouldn't trust her to stick with me if she spotted anything furry that she could chase! She has ten hours of walking exercise a week, courtesy of her small band of walkers. I supply 500metre sessions on the treadmill and games of retrieve or find the treat, otherwise she majors in Lazing. Because of this - coupled with her expanding waistline - I have just had her blood screened for thyroid deficiency. The bad news for Tally is that her results were normal, so I'm afraid it will be more metres on the treadmill, and less food in her dish. Poor girl!
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Helidale and Toedtoes like this.
    I can't think of anything that Rosie has ever done that has been naughty. She never chewed as a pup and is such an easy dog.

Yes, she's cheeky and she does tell lies so I suppose that is naughty of her. Her lies are usually to try to get more food. 'Mum/dad, honest I haven't been fed yet :)
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    Well, Tally is an angel, so it doesn't surprise me she has no vices. ;). I think we all love her. Following your nose is definitely not a vice - it's a desirable quality. Every beagle knows that.

Ah Rosie! The old "you forgot to feed me" fake out. It takes skill to play that con.

Once, when I had just started a part time job from home, Tornado-dog went to the window and started growling at something outside. That's not usual. So I got up to look. As soon as I got up, he grabbed his ball and jumped on my work chair (kitchen chair). He lied to me to get me up so I'd play with him.

He has even lied about going poop. I took him out and told him to go poop. It was drizzling. He went and got into position and stood like that for a good 30-60 seconds. Then ran to the door. When he got inside, he pooped. I checked where he had been outside - no poop. He actually PRETENDED to go poop.
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes and Helidale like this.
    I can’t say that my dogs cheat, lie or steal. They do have an interesting dynamic. Bandit likes to take their toys outside and Katie Mae likes to bring them back inside.
  7. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    @who owns who That sounds a very useful trait - I would be working on that.
    'Katie Mae, could you pass the screwdriver please '.
    One of the Beagle brigade used to service vacuum cleaners for a living. Her Beagle knew the name of each tool in her kit and would pass them to her when she asked.
    As for Tally, we have been working all Winter on 'On the Mat, Wipe Feet'. Four months on and she still thinks that a brief tap-dance will have to do! As I said, she majors in laziness. :079:
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    At the very least, Katie Mae cleans up after Bandit. She's working for her supper.

Today, Tornado-dog demanded to be let out to say hello to my yard guy. But when I let him out, he completely ignored the guy and went to snoop at the neighbor's house. So again, he lied to me.