Malinois AKC First Herding Trial Videos

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by smokeybear, Sep 24, 2012.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Malinois AKC First Herding Trial

A bit different from One Man and his Dog!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Wow at the half black, half white sheep!
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    AHem, are they sheep, or goats?
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    It doesn't really have the "edge of the seat excitement" factor does it :-D
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    No I was not biting my nails to the quick................. :)
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Although, saying that, I don't like watching any dog working three sheep (or goats in this instance) in a pen like that - however, I do really enjoy watching collies work sheep on a hill side, or the GSDs in the HGH trials ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b45WYL_2Xb8
  8. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Mm, just seems that the goats are walking with her and the dog is just obeying the commands she is giving; not actually interacting with them.

Only watched a bit, as I am a bit worried about my download allowance! Is it a groove/path that the dog is running along? The sheep certainly don't seem concerned about it being there.

How is Zak getting on? Have you had him out again?

Helen
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    BSD and GSD work sheep entirely differently to that of WSD/BC
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I know but didn't realise they didn't actually interact with them at all, like a bc would.

Helen
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Goats.......:lol:
    Dog looks like its just following her around, looking bored half the time.:?
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    That's what I thought.

Border Collies herding on the other hand....amazing!
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The difference for me, is the Collie never takes his eyes of the sheep, and is using his natural instinct every step of the way.

I am sure the BSD, is equally as good s the job he is designed to do, but not THAT one, he just looked like he was following his owner.
  15. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Wow people will compeat at anything wont they?

I would be interested to see the difference there without the dog as the sheep are clearly trained to follow the shephard (something i do love that seems to be common in the rest of the world)
    Also interesting that the dog spends most of the time in a kinda canter - not the supposed flying trot that people are bandying about as the reason why GSD's now need to walk on their hocks like clown feet (thankfully this dosent seem to be the case in the actual working dogs)

and the sheep are entirely different too
    I know the history of the GSD was the founder wanted to create a shephard dog - but also while he was still alive he was recomending them to the army and police. Were they actually ever really used popularly as useful working sheep dogs? because really watching all the films out there they dont really seem to show a great benifit to the guy working the sheep - perhaps the guarding a line as a flock gaurdian but they just dont seem to have the natural drive to work the sheep - in the 2nd clip when 1 sheep breaks away they dog dosent even notice
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
  17. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I wasn't sure but decided they were goaty looking sheep LOL!
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Goat have floppy ears (most of them)and pointed up tails, sheep have pricked up ears and droopy tails :lol: or is how I was always told. ;-)
  19. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Typical US herding done with sheep/goats that are herded daily so that they make the dogs look good.

Love to see their AKC champion herders working a small flock of Herdwicks don't think they would cope !;-)
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    But their tests are different, their environment is different and their sheep are different so we would be comparing apples with oranges.

Also, remember that BC were not AKC registered until a few years ago so everyone has worked with what they have with the information available and trainers available etc.

There are lots of things which countries do differently from each other, it does not make them any less worthwhile nor the triumphs of their handlers of any less value.

Where do we, as a country, come at the Worlds in Schutzhund? ;)
  21. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

But the dogs are not "herding"& the stock isn't being herded

Plenty of information available for real herding tests as per the HGH has been available for many many years & they have never been done on trained stock in a pen

In the USA commercial sheep are herding using dogs & horses/ATVs, the breed of sheep is dependent in which state you are in & the type of climate. They are not kept in pens/corrals 24/7

Sheepdog trials in the USA