Merry the invalid General Chat

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Oct 26, 2017.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Merry the invalid

IMG_20171025_135656.jpg
    Merry has been poorly today, hunched and miserable looking from the start. She went for a shortened walk, but hardly broke into a trot. Her pees and poops were normal, and she hasn't been windy. She gobbled her dinner as normal, but there was a definite air of misery about her, and I began to worry about a UTI, or her spine. She had only done search training yesterday, so it couldn't have been caused by over exertion.
    I took Eddie to training, and since 8pm. she has gradually brightened up, - by 10.30pm. she was back to her giddy, cuddly self. I haven't a clue what has been wrong with her, but can only say I am so relieved to have her back on form.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    What a shame you both had to go through that
    Glad she is back to normal
    We know she’s in good hands though when things go wrong :)
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh dear, poor Merrykins and poor you worrying about her - I am so pleased that she is back to her normal happy self. :)

I well know what it is like when one of our four-legged family just does not seem to be right and how much worry it is.

Our dogs are as our children were - the slightest sign of them not being 100% and out comes the worrying hat again.

Cuddles for Merry and Eddie [and hugs for you]
    [​IMG]
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Janet like this.
    Fine this morning. What a mystery. If only they could speak!
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    They can be such a worry at times, glad she seems ok and looks well cosy with her blanket.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    After Merry's walk on Friday - only about one mile, and on the flat - she was very reluctant to get out of the car. In the afternoon she had another bout of back pain, so I rang the vet and made an appointment for Saturday. She was given a very thorough neurological check-up, and apart from a single pain response on one lumbar vertebra, she did not show any sign of a disc damage. We were sent home with moderate pain control, (Metacam and Pardale), and instructions to restrict her activity. She had a follow-up appointment for early Monday morning, and I was told to starve her in case she had to on the CAT scanner. Mummy panic!
    However, by Sunday she had recovered again, and on Monday the vet could find nothing wrong - though she is still on medication, and that could possibly mask symptoms. Today, (Tuesday), we tried another one mile level walk, and there were no ill effects, in fact, we are having a real job preventing her ladyship from doing all her normal bouncing and jumping up.
    I am at a real loss to know how Merry could have injured herself. For obvious reasons, I never put her over jumps the week before a show, and she has had no collisions. It is possible that she could have slithered off a knee, or jumped out of the car awkwardly, and she does have a habit of 'pinging' off the kitchen units. Whatever, this week will be aimed at maintaining steady low level exercise, the gradual reduction of her medication, and the firm wish that we will have no further relapses. I am hopeful that Merry's demeanour suggests that we really have it beaten this time.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Whatever Merry did to have injured herself, I doubt she will tell you. She probably does not know herself, but how do you stop a dog from bouncing and jumping up?

I hope that whatever it was has now well and truly gone and that Merry will never have any more relapses.

Huggles for her and for Eddie, and maybe another hug for you? [​IMG]