Might be getting a Bull Terrier Introductions

Discussion in 'Bull Terrier' started by Jason666, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Jason666

Jason666 New Member

Name:
    Jason

Might be getting a Bull Terrier

Hi there,

My wife and I are looking into getting an EBT as we both love them. My question is, Can this breed get along with other dogs ok? I have read yes in a few threads so far but I would like to put it out there as we have a 2yr old female French Bull Dog.

The frenchie is mellow as can be and even when playing, does not bite hard at all. I know the EBT has a reputation of sometimes being overly aggressive and so we are a bit concerned that our frenchie might become a target.

Is it possible to train the EBT from an early age to be good to the other dog? Or is it inherent that the EBT will want to be the Alpha and possibly attack her?

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Jace.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jayster

Jayster New Member

Name:
    Jayster
    @Jason666

I had my Bull Terrier put to sleep as it was unpredictable and aggressive and had a go at my child and husband, the incident involving my husband was terrifying. The breed has a problem with sudden onset aggression other mental neurological problems. On the surface they appear very confident and loving and you would think perfect dog. Then out of nowhere dog will randomly become aggressive and have a go at family members that it feels dominant over, the dog will intimidate and dominate and you will constantly have to deal with this . Read over as many bull terrier forums as possible, one common theme is aggression and how can it be managed. With advice ranging from pinning dog to the ground or dog behaviourist. Previously before having this breed I thought they were fantastic and good natured. I now understand why the breed is banned in Germany and Spain.

These dogs were breed for fighting and those aggressive traits are still in the genetics of the breed.

Seriously think hard about this, no gaurantee that the bull terrier will get on with your dog. Most likely it will not get along with your other dog ( genetics )
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I don't see the point in getting these breeds. Why not get a gentle breed not known for aggression? What sense does it make to get multiple bull breeds when you KNOW there is a good chance it won't work out?

There are SO many nicer (and better looking) breeds out there, why would you pick a Bull Terrier? Why you pick a bull breed at all at this point?

I got sentimental and sappy over a litter of puppies with no where to go and took a free one from a lady off the streets at 4-5 weeks old. They were just tiny cute brown puppies with no known background and no breed could be discerned yet because they were so tiny and young.

DNA tests reveal a decent amount of Pit Bull. Around 20%. Had I known that, I would have likely left the puppy to his fate. Even less than 20% pit bull can make a huge difference.

The puppy is an absolute nightmare. Jumps and runs all over. Stubborn and hard to train. Attacks small wildlife. Ridiculously high energy levels that DEFINITELY don't suit my lifestyle.

Nobody can tell me that the Pit Bull in him isn't why he is a terror. The other breeds in him for the most part are gentle and generally nice breeds. No other puppies I have had or been around have been nearly this hard to deal with.

I have had issues with pit bulls many times. I have SEEN others have issues with them many times. They have a reputation for causing issues. I don't support BSL only because it DOES NOT WORK. Otherwise I likely WOULD support it.

My family LEGIT thinks the puppy is neurotic and needs medication or something. I am ALMOST inclined to agree. I have been juggling with trying CBD oil or other things for him... But I just have trouble with giving stuff like that to young animals and people.

I just don't understand. Do some people just ENJOY trying to train and manage rock headed and naturally aggressive breeds? I've always thought owning a dog is supposed to bring happiness and peace to your life, not hardship and frustration.
  5. Mike S.

Mike S. New Member

Name:
    Mike
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hi Jace,

Please disregard the first two responses to your thread. They were nothing but hate filled blabber with zero helpful information. I seriously think some of my brain cells died reading those replies. I bet they need to speak to the manager everywhere they go.

Moving on. I currently own a English Bull Terrier. My previous three pets over the years were APBT’s. A dog is like a person as far as how you raise him/her and how he/she turns out. It’s a commitment and a full time job. Some dogs are lazy and calm and some dogs bounce of the walls constantly. My APBT’s were lazy and calm at home and active outside. They were the sweetest animals and very well socialized.
    I always wanted a EBT and after lots of research and saving up money I purchased my girl Kenzie. She is the sweetest most affectionate dog that I have ever encountered. Not a single bit of aggression has ever been shown unless the vacuum cleaner is out.
    That being said, this is an advanced breed that requires a great deal of patience and attention. EBT’s demand lots of love and attention. They’re extremely affectionate. No doubt the smartest dog I’ve ever seen. But non-stop hyper. They do not stop moving or playing. You have to have patience for this breed because they will not be satisfied with you sitting on the couch when there is a chance to play. They’re like having a 3 year old child who has drank a gallon of coffee. If you’re not giving them constant attention their curiosity will get them into trouble. Such as getting in the trash or opening the fridge to make themselves a sandwich.
    Hilarious dogs that actually do things to make you laugh. Not a beginner breed at all but definitely an extremely smart and sweet natured breed that will easily get along with other animals very well if properly socialized.
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Hate filled blabber. Nice try! You even said some of the EXACT same things I said, you merely sugar coated over them a little bit to make them sound nicer.

The other post was even an actual owner of this breed who warned against the breed and said to look at other resources and do research before getting involved with the breed. How can you say there was zero helpful information in the posts? The arrogance of some of you mega dog lovers knows no bounds!

These dogs are high energy dogs that can be an ABSOLUTE nightmare for the wrong owners. They CAN be aggressive without a solid reason for it (stop acting like they can't). Any dog can be aggressive without an apparent trigger, but some breeds are more prone to it.

Why try and act like these breeds are so good? It is ABSOLUTELY untrue that you can train the TEMPERAMENT out of an animal. Oftentimes, it cannot be done. They're animals with wills of their own and we humans often don't have the control over them that we think we do.

Your brain cells will be fine, judging by the formatting of your post, you probably lost many of them long before reading those replies anyway.

But on a serious note, you could have posted your reply without trying to insult other people. The beginning of your post was completely unnecessary and truly could have been omitted.

BTW I have worked in customer service many many times, so I definitely do *not* call for managers willy nilly as I know it makes people's jobs harder.

My puppy is doing MUCH better but he truly was stressing me out so bad for the longest time and he still does stress me out sometimes. Extremely high energy dogs aren't for everyone and a solid WARNING should definitely be given.

Also, the breed (along with many other bull breeds) DOES have issues across the board with aggression. Just because YOUR dog has never shown any doesn't mean that it never will... And doesn't mean that ALL of these dogs are like your dog.

This is a UK based site. Your beloved APBT's are BANNED in the UK because of a history of aggression and being dangerous.

So to act like a sister breed, the Bull Terrier, would have ZERO issues with this isn't responsible at all as far as advice goes.
  7. Mike S.

Mike S. New Member

Name:
    Mike
    CaroleC likes this.
    Your grammar is really lovely but there is nothing in your windy post that has any real value. I stand by what I said earlier. Your opinion of these dogs is ridiculous.
    They’re not violent psychopaths. Bull Terriers are known for their gentle nature. Yes, extremely energetic and require a great deal of attention and love. Any dog can be trained to be a great dog. Any dog could go to a home with a scum bag owner and turn into an aggressive dog.
    I’m not a mega dog lover. That made me giggle. I’m a normal person who understands that if you’re responsible and raise a dog correctly it will be a good dog.
    I don’t base my decisions on what some moron who shouldn’t have been trusted with a goldfish let’s his dog do. My dog will get you a beer and do some tricks for you. And she won’t bite you...

Attached Files:

8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    If you believe that a good owner means a good dog, you and I have different beliefs on dogs. I don't wish to argue. Have a lovely day.