Mouse update and how he is doing. Discussions

Discussion in 'Mastiff' started by LMost, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost

Mouse update and how he is doing.

Sorry all did not post here. Was a bit over worked and dealing with him being ill.

Mouse has puppy strangles. I noticed a bump on his jowl about 2 and half weeks ago, the next morning it was 3 more nickel sized ones, so I took him in they said flea or mosquito bites and next day went from 1 jowl to the next and both covered, with a bunch of little blister looking bumps. Mouse's vet one of the large/giant breed vets they have took scrapings and blood work, week later we went back, because he was just not being himself, long story short test come back, and 2 weeks later is confirmed puppy strangles. Which is unknown how they get and rare and extremely rare for a dog his age. His vet told me in 17 years only 2nd time she has seen it in a dog his age.

Well this morning got up and gave him his meds and went to work. around 8:15 am wife called and said she could not get him to move and he was not responding to her.
    Way over the speed limit drive home, loaded him it the suv.
    Got to vets at around 845 and they released him 4:30ish pm.
    Change to antibiotics, and he is doing his snore thing.
    He was sedated and given IV fluids due to very high temp.

So far big lug is ok, but he has gone from a beefy inshape dog to 5 ribs clearly defined dog in the last 2 1/2 weeks.

He has been covered since 10 weeks old so they can say nothing is prior.

Right now it is just a lot of cuddling my puppy, and feeding him, that with a lot of ice for him to eat.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor Mouse! I have never heard of Puppy Strangles in an adult. I had a Cavalier puppy with it once, but she had recovered and was growing new hair on the spots by 14 weeks - it sounds as if it is more serious if it happens later.
    I'm sending love and healing vibes to the little (?) man. Tell him Dr. Beag says get well soon.

DrBeag.png
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh poor Mouse - it sounds horrible - sending lots of get-well-soon {{{vibes}}} and please give him a hug from me.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Poor Mouse and poor you and wife - it sounds a horrible condition. So glad you were able to get him to the vets quickly, and I really hope he is back to normal very quickly.
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Thank you all. The snore beast seems fine this morning.
    Me and wife just got to keep an eye that he is staying hydrated.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Glad to hear that he's feeling a little better. Not something I've come across but sounds very nasty
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry to hear about mouse, hope hes better soon .
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Very sorry to hear that. I've never heard of puppy strangles. I'm assuming though even though he's going through it now it will be something that he madness a recovery from and isn't reoccurring?
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
  11. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    No it is not reoccurring.
  12. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name: