My boy is a carrier of Epilepsy. Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cheyenne, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie

My boy is a carrier of Epilepsy.

I am very sorry to say that it has come to light that my boy Diesel is a carrier of epilepsy.

Sadly i have found out recently that one of diesel's pups has come down with this horrid illnes. I am very upset by this news, but i wanted you to know in the hope that by this knowledge those of you who have dogs related to my boy will think again about breeding him/her.

Sire: Shadwolands Aragon
    G.Sire: Mahlek Dante
    G. Dam: Kira

Dam: Mahlek Chea Sequall
    G.Sire: Mahlek Pawnee Ammlk
    G.Dam: Regent

I will post his ped as soon as i can as i dont have it on this pc.

I know i am going to have people on here going for my throat for this post but so beit... just remember i didnt have to post this about my own dog, i could have hidden this fact like many others would have done! but i believe this needs to be public knowledge for the welfare of future pups.

I dont just share the good things, the bad things NEED to be known too!

I will say however, i cannot give details of the affected pup or the Dam of the pup as they are not my dogs so therefore i have not right to do so.

My sympathies are with the affected dog and the owner, and for what it is worth i am so very sorry for the pain you and your fur baby are going through.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    oh im sorry for the news :-(

i have a daughter of shadowlands aragorn and another dog with him as grandsire both are fine(so far) :)

4. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Its a dreadful illness and unfortunetly you dont know there's a problem til it's too late as there's no genetic marker yet.
    Its a problem in welsh and I dread it happening but as far as I'm concerned if you can say you've done your best (which you have hun by publishing the ped xx). Don't beat yourself up over it Welsh are one of the oldest breeds and we've been unable to eridicate it.
  5. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Well done you for admitting it.

I will never forget how it hurt when I found out that my girl carried epilepsy. (Related to yours). Thankfully Sacha is now 5, shown no signs of it herself and never been bred from.

So sad that more people aren't as honest as you are being :cry:
  6. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thing is you dont always know there is a prob till years after you have bred, but i am so glad yours are fit and well :grin:

thank you :grin:

I feel so bad, just waiting now for the sh*t to fly
  7. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thanks for that.

But the thing about carriers is that you dont know they are till its too late. I dont blame the breeder of Diesel has I dont believe there was anyway she could have known.

Eta: My boy is 5 too, so seems to me that the fault lays with our dogs GG Sire/Dam at the earliest? Looking back at the peds of Diesel, the Dam of this pup, and your girls there is a lot of one particular Affix, makes you wonder dont it.

Also you dont know she is a carrier for sure, but yes the risk of breeding her is too great any how given her sister produced, and now diesel has too who i think his Sire (Shadwolands Aragon) is your girls GG. Sire on her Dams side? Which again goes back to Dante and.....
  8. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    How awful, very sorry to hear this :( Just wanted to say well done for being open, and not trying to hide it.

Fingers crossed, no more pups are affected. x x x
  9. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Thank you.

I have and will always be open and honest about my dogs. I think health issues like this should always be made public no matter how it looks or how much it hurts...!

Yes fingers crossed indeed xxx
  10. rune

rune

You weren't to know. Great that you are being open about it.

rune
  11. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Sorry to hear this.

Well done for taking the time to help bring this to light.
  12. lotsforus

lotsforus New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    MY dog has those dogs in both sides.
    He is okay so far.....
    Thank you for letting us know
  13. angied

angied New Member

Name:
    angie
    well done for coming on here to let us knbow BUT agree it may not be picked up til its too late my bt has cecs and thats supposed to be heridertary(sp) BUT her mum was 2 and dad just 1 and app doesnt come out til they are at least 2 (lola started getting it at 1) but i know for a fact that she had both dogs done after this first mating which happened to be a mistake and ive let her know so she informed the other 2 pups owners
  14. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I`m so sorry to hear that Marie.. my thoughts are with the affected pup and his family.

My dogs too have possibilities of carrying the epilepsy gene.. but are both neutered/spayed.. they are now almost 4 & 5 and i hope to god epilepsy doesn`t manifest itself in the future.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim New Member

Name:
    Liesl
    Hallelujah!!! At last an NI breeder being honest! Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor in shock:shock::shock:

I admire you for coming on here and telling the truth. How often was Diesel used as a stud?

My only hope is that your honesty catches on and Diesels progeny are never used for breeding:-(

My boy was from Aragon too and I was told there was an epilepsy risk within his breedeing, whether the fault lies with Aragon or not I was never certain.
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There should be no need for anyone to attack you, you have found out a problem and made it public, if all the other stud dog owners and breeders in that type of dog were as honest, they may not be in such a state. So well done you.
  17. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    Dont know much about breeding other than a common sense approach , you have done absolutely the right thing IMO by being open and honest about a problem always the best approach in most things and can only be a positive thing
  18. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Sorry to hear this. I admire your honesty, wish there were more like you!
  19. crazycockers

crazycockers New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    How refreshing to see a decent, honest stud dog owner!! Wish there were some in the cocker world, sadly not, we have to find out the hard way! :-(
  20. girliebiker

girliebiker New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I am so sorry to hear this. You must be gutted.
    My thoughts are with the puppy and the owner.

Well done for making it known.
    xxx
  21. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I am so sorry to hear this; as you will appreciate, this is precisely why I feel so strongly that no dog with epilepsy in their lines should be bred from.

I am very glad that you have come forward to let people know. Well done for having the courage to do so!