My dog stealing items Questions

Discussion in 'Bearded Collie' started by beckyg72, Jul 29, 2014.

1. beckyg72

beckyg72 New Member

Name:
    Becky

My dog stealing items

We adopted Felix last October from a shelter. He is just over a year and he looks a great deal like a bearded collie, but we aren't sure. He has started taking items of clothing or shoes and hiding them in his crate. He will also take anything he can get his mouth around out of my son's room. He lets us take them back, which is good. I can tell when he has something because he'll go straight into his crate and it's the only time he's not right next to me. I worry he will eat something and have an issue. I'm wondering what is the best way to go about correcting this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Azz, CaroleC and fieldy like this.
    Hello Becky :) does Felix have a supply of toys/ 'treasures' of his own.
    Perhaps he is seeking the security of items with your scent on , maybe give him an old jumper or tee shirt you have worn and close doors/ shut other items safely away :)
  4. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Hi and welcome!Maybe a teddy of his own too?i agree it sounds like a security thing.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I have a large sturdy Asda carrier bag in the living room filled with soft toys I've bought from charity shops. I sometimes drop a few treats into the bag as well which keeps Georgina occupied rummaging around trying to find them.
  6. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Me too Barbara. I make sure they have eyes which can't be eaten (or I remove them and sew some on with wool) and that they do not contain 'beans' some have polystyrene ones.
    Generally if the have the 'child safe' mark (a CE/kite mark/lion in a triangle) they are reasonably safe.
    Chloe has a crate of toys and makes me laugh tossing them out as she searches for one at the bottom :)
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sounds like he is finding comfort in the scent of items he is stealing, and I'd second what meg suggested :)

Not too sure about the carrier bag suggestion - I guess you mean one of those cloth ones and not a plastic carrier bag as those could be a choke hazard?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Pereg does not steal my things as she has her special loves from all her toys. She plays with them all as and when she fancies, but has to take at least one of her monkeys to bed.

[​IMG]
  9. beckyg72

beckyg72 New Member

Name:
    Becky
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Felix does has lots of toys, but they have to be the indestructible type, like Kong brand. Anything else will have holes or chunks chewed out of it. When he takes our stuff he puts it in the back of his crate & then lays on it so liking the smell is probably right. I suppose my real problems are my husband and son, who don't pick up their things!
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Ild say let him have something of yours that will have a good scent on not something you just wore for a day. Ive found my pillowcase works best for phoebe. When i change the bed she gets the dirty one and then i swap it for the next dirty one when i change the bed again. Keeps her settled at kennels and when shes had an overnight at vets. She also carries it around when we have thunder or fireworks.