My flatcoat is turning...Red??? Questions

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Loosey, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Loosey

Loosey New Member

Name:
    Loosey

My flatcoat is turning...Red???

Hello! I have a 10 year old flatcoat named Loosey. She is the most wonderful companion... the most special dog we have owned. As she gets older I am aware that she is nearing her life expectancy. She is not a show dog- just a devoted family member. She has quite a few lipomas now but they don't seem to bother her. We lost a flatcoat to cancer at 5 years old so I've doted on my Loosey. She has arthritis and can't play as she used to.... but she is still bright eyed and tail wagging! We switched her food about six months ago because she wasn't really eating much but would eat my granddogs food when visiting. We feed her Merrick now(6 months). She eats better than before. Her coat has started to turn red. Mostly on her chest and her legs. Could this be her food? She also didn't shed her coat this summer as she usually does. her shedding increased slightly but not like it used to. Any ideas?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When you say turn red, is this a soft fluffy coat that seems lie on top of her normal coat? If so, I would think that it is due to declining hormone levels, as seems to happen quite often in spayed bitches - especially elderly ones. The soft fluffy stuff will usually strip out painlessly using either a finger and thumb, or a stripping knife. Just take a tiny amount at a time.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    i agree with Carole , its probably the coat being stripped of nutrients...i.e hormones , it is also worth a visit to the vet to make sure she is not suffering any other issue sthat might effect coat...i.e cushings !!
  5. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    I don't think I have much to add as I agree with the 2 comments made by @CaroleC @Jackie . Any chance you could take a picture of the red coat and post it for us to see? Definitely make a note of asking the vet to check her out though. You'd rather be safe than sorry! ;)
    Jane
    xx