My insight and tips into the Portuguese Water Dog Experiences

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by Jackie, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

My insight and tips into the Portuguese Water Dog

For anyone wishing to own one of these wonderful dogs, please do your research, thankfully not many seem to end up in rescue, and from my understanding they are not overly bred, so on the whole if you are looking for one, be prepared to wait.

They are a medium ACTIVE breed, with a profuse coat (be that wavy or curly) that will need regular grooming, whether it be clipped in a pet trim or the lion clip.

They are a breed that needs firm handling, they are intelligent and wilful, so if you don't want a hairy hooligan that sticks his fingers up at you on a daily basis be prepared to be consistent with your training,

They are an extremely faithful breed and need to be with you at all times, they will take endless amounts of exercise when you think you have worn them out, they have a reserve tank ready to go, they are NOT hyper dogs, but they do need to be stimulated mentally and physically .

The obvious , they have webbed front feet and love the water, so they WILL get muddy and wet at every opportunity.. they have a very pleasant friendly nature to both humans and other dogs...counter surfing seems to be a breed trait, so be warned, if you don't want big wet muddy flat feet on your work tops , you need to start early in teaching them to keep their feet on the ground ( I have failed miserably) I cant resist that face!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Bonni likes this.
    Thanks for the insight into the breed Jackie - I am sure many would-be PWD owners will find your thread useful.

All it needs now is a few photos of Figo :D
  4. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Very interesting Jackie, I will pass this on to my friend ;)
  5. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    All very true, Jackie and a good warning for potential owners. Never has it been more true of a breed that what you put in is what you get back. They are no pushover but, equally, they have such apleasant disposition, they don't really want to upset you. They just want to know that you are the boss. They're too clever to fell happy with wishy-washy owners. If you're akind of black and white person, rather than grey, you'll probably be a great PWD owner. Agree, Jackie?