Need advice! Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Heather Barcoe, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Need advice!

So I’ve gone to visit my 5 week old Staffordshire bull terrier
    I’ve asked about feeding ect....
    To be informed that he is eating two tins of 400g each puppy food a day, which is shared out into two crates for the 8 puppies they have. 5 hours apart Also she said they are having dry food as well mixed with puppy milk and will feed on mum before they go to sleep at night time.
    Can someone please help me here as I don’t think this is right..

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Hi @Heather Barcoe at 6wks they're slowly introduced to food but not at 5wks they should still be receiving their mothers milk and also at 6wks but with slight food being introduced...to be truthful I don't like the sound of this but that's my personal opinion others may think differently.
  4. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    @Heather Barcoe I stand corrected on my above comment, it used to be 6wks regarding introducing food and I've just checked for you and it's 4-5 wks now slowly introducing kibble food and 6-7wks weaning from their mothers milk but should stop with their mother for a full 8wks.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My Cavalier and Löwchen puppies would have their first experience of solid food from about 3 weeks. They would probably start by paddling in their puppy cereal and Whelpi, but quickly learned to lap from a shallow puppy dish. From about 4 weeks they were able to manage scraped or finely minced lean steak - maybe moistened with a little water to begin with. Of course their mother's milk was available too, but the sooner you introduce solid food, the less it takes out of your mothers.
    I never used tinned puppy food, but they would be having a good quality puppy kibble to crunch on for at least one meal a day from the time their teeth erupted. Everyone's puppy rearing methods will vary, and some will just put their puppies straight on to, at first soaked, and then dry, puppy kibble. In my opinion, there is no substitute for giving puppies a variety of the best quality foods you can provide. I can never remember a puppy of mine fail to eat, or have a stomach upset, when it changed homes. If you are in the UK, it is now illegal to sell a puppy under 8 weeks, by which time it should be completely weaned from its mother.
  6. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    Love the picture
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    I remember my brothers Akita would regurgitate food for her puppies when she wanted to start weaning them
  8. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    Thank you so much !
  9. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev

Thank you for getting back to me! I really appreciate it. I will be getting him at 8 weeks and 1 day old
  10. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Marc neither of my first two staffs was introduced to food when I had them..i had to do it myself slowly :)
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    One of my Griffs did that when she had the five Z babies, which was an unbelievable large litter, so I had to keep her away from them for about an hour after I had fed her.
    Tikva came to me far too early - it was "take her now" with the unspoken "or else", so she had to be bottle fed day and night, then gradually weaned until she was fully on raw.
  12. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    It is going to be beneficial to the dog if I put 2 puppy milk in his dry food only, is this going to be harmful to him?
    Also giving him wet food along side this.
    As I’m really not sure he will be fully weaned off puppy milk when I get him
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    Heather, at eight weeks your puppy should not need puppy milk any more. He should have been fully weaned from his dam and should not need replacement puppy milk.
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka likes this.
    I personally think canned food is unnecessary and a waste of money. You are mostly buying water, and it’s a huge waste of resources with all the cans to recycle. This is just my opinion
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I always add warm water to their dry complete before feeding, as it helps release the meat aroma ,I usually add a ‘small amount’ of butchers tinned meat or chappie original/ tinned tuna.

There are some excellent books on puppies, here are a few.
    The perfect puppy by Gwen Bailey
    Puppy Problems? No problem by Brenda Aloff
    Life Skills for puppies by Helen Zulch and Daniel Mills