Need help with biting Behaviour

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Ren, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Ren

Ren New Member

Name:
    Nae

Need help with biting

Hello I'm new here and this is my first post. I have a rough collie (Rigby) who is 8 months old now. He's a really good dog but has this annoying and painful habit of biting me and everyone else when playing. He's very pushy, and will press his toy against your leg.

So it goes like this - He grabs a toy and brings it over to me. He drops toy and proceeds to to bite (pinch more like) on the thigh. I tell him no and he just starts barking, getting ready for round two.

He wants to play but how can I play with him if he has such bad manners? If anyone has suggestions, please help.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes, Helidale and Ren like this.
    A decent start would be to put the toys away and you decide when the games start. That way, he doesn't have to persuade you to play, you persuade him.

He's going through adolescence and is trying to push the boundaries to see what behaviour you will accept and what he can get away with.

Another technique would be to walk out of the room when the nipping starts. No talking, no eye contact etc. Tedious, but tends to work
  4. Ren

Ren New Member

Name:
    Nae
    Chris B likes this.
    Thanks Funny my Mom just suggested the same thing today and it pretty much worked! Work in progress.