Neutering General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Jeff Crook, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff

Neutering

My male Frenchie will be 6 months old soon. How much longer would you guys recommend I wait to have him neutered? Thanks in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I left my Beagle boy till he was 15 months. By that time he was fully developed, and had a nice crest to his neck.They really need those male hormones to grow sturdy long bones. Eddie was the first male that I have had castrated - mainly because of my breed's reputation for doing a disappearing act, (which he has never done). I'm not sure that I would ever neuter another male, but there is a range of opinion. I can only suggest you read up on spay and neuter considerations, and then make your decision.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Is there a specific reason for wanting him neutered?
  5. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    We aren’t going to breed him and the vet as well as others have indicated that bad habits could develop like marking his territory etc.
  6. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Things like scent marking and humping are learnt behaviours, so neutering may not stop or prevent them, they will need to be tackled with training. Minimum for me is 18 months, but if possible 2 years or over, if at all :)
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have always had intact males and never had a problem with marking indoors, when we're out they can go as often as they want.
    I had to have Heiko neutered at 8 yrs old for medical reasons, but he still marks outside as much as my intact ones.

I am not against neutering in any way but it’s not the answer for all problems.
    We have been conditioned that it’s the “responsible” thing to do and of the benefits but rarely told of the risks, research continues to show there are also some damning results of spay/neuter.

There are lots of articles on the pros and cons’ of neutering/spaying do lots of research before reaching a decision.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/long-term-health-risks-benefits-associated-spay-neuter-michele-o-hara

http://webcanine.com/2007/research-on-neutering-and-spaying/
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have had males in four different breeds and have never had one lift his leg in the house. Like @GsdSlave says, they have territory marked when out on their walks, but my neutered boy is no different in that respect.
  9. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for all the replies what about if there is cat in the house will that induce some of these unwanted behaviors? I’m getting a since most of you would not have him neutered.
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    My dog was neutered at 14 weeks or so since he was healed up from it totally when I got him at 16 weeks. He's been chubby all his life, which likely stems from that. His genitalia never developed and he's often mistaken for a GIRL dog. He has mild hip issues as well, though I suspect he was born with these since they became obvious instantly.

None of it is severe or seems to hinder him, but all of it was made worse by the lack of hormones that he really was supposed to have. I won't ever get another dog after him, but I can't say that I would neuter just to be neutering either.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I would wait until around 18 months. That way your guy is fully mature.

I would then only have him neutered if he has unwanted behaviours that may be improved if the procedure is carried out.