New colour for a Weimeraner?!! Discussions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Kerryowner, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie

New colour for a Weimeraner?!!

We went to Holt in Norfok today as decided that Wells next the sea was too far as it would have been dark by the time we got there so we'll save that excursion for the summer!

Anyway, I saw a litter of puppies advertised in a horsey things shop and wondered if this was a "special" type of coat colour of just someone using some clever marketing to describe grey?

The Weimeraner litter was dscribed as Silver/Blue with it being stated that some were of each colour. I thought Weimeraners would be described as grey with there being various shades of grey I suppose?

The price was shocking I thought-£1200!! Is this expensive for a Weimeraner? Last time I looked in our local paper they were about half this price and I don't think this was a top kennel (Gunalt etc).

Perhaps the craze for Blue Staffies is now moving on to other breeds or is this just a description of grey?
    Just wondered what other people thought?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    According to the internet:

Although I do own a chocolate Weimaraner according to some very expert dog people ;)
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I hate poetic names for the colour of a dog - but it may just be me.
    It`s not taupe, mocha, caramel or fawn. It`s brown.
    It`s not silver, blue, slate, topaz or sun-kissed mediterannean. It`s grey.
    Because you shouldn`t choose a dog by the colour. And offering an exciting range of so-this-season`s colours encourages pl*nkers to get one to match the curtains.
  5. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Spot on.

I thought they would be described as silver/grey after all they are the silver ghost.
  6. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    LOL LOL - love CLAIREANDDAISY'S response - brilliant!! Could not agree more!
  7. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Blue weimaraners wwere imported to this country from America a couple of years ago. Arguments are still raging, some people say the original blues were due to a cross many generations ago. I think the KC register them as non standard colour and ATM they can't be shown.

The blues were clearly imported for the sake of making money, the breeders generally charge more for Blues in a mixed litter, this is not the case in the US where Blues have been around for a lot longer.
  8. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Am I right in thinking that there are diluted blacks (less common and called blue?) and diluted browns the ones you normally see and more widely accepted?????

Which make them techincally different colours the blue is erm well more blue-ish compared to the pinkish type you normally see. But thats a stupid price!

Sophie
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Yep, that's spot on.

The recessive Dilution gene D works on black to produce Blue aaBBdd and on brown to produce "lilac" aabbdd, which is the genetic term for the colour of the Weimaraner.
  10. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    It`s still just a colour. It doesn`t mean it`s a good dog (or a bad one).
  11. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I would say £1200 is a good double the price of what they normally are and I wouldnt touch them with a sh*tty stick at that!

I do like the look of the blues even though they are frowned upon.
  12. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Thanks

Yep, temperament/health..... etc needed.
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There will always be a market for dogs that are "different", Weimaraners come in one colour, grey (several shades of).

So just as some people have made money by breeding white/liver/blue GSD which are not breed standard there are those who make money by providing "rare" blue ones.

The problem with the word "rare" is that it is not qualitative!

Rare does not necessarily = desirable (eg tsunami).

The other problem is that nobody who is a reputable breeder will allow their stud dog to be used on a bitch that does not meet the KC standard therefore ipso facto the quality of the blues will deteriorate exponentially.

the average price for a Weimaraner currently is circa £750 - £800, a price that I find ludicrous enough.
  14. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Thanks for your erudite answers!

I thought this was expensive and agree that the colour does not mean it is a brilliant dog. The advert had loads of stuff about the colours and a line at the end of the ad saying one of the parents was hip-tested, almots as an afterthought!

I must admit when I watched Crufts one year and the best of breed Kerry was an Italian one which really was a beautiful blue colour I thought I would love one that colour but I would rather have one with Parker's temperament and heath and fitness even if he does look a bit dull coat-colour wise in comparison!
  15. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I believe Gunalt are one of the top breeding kennels around.

My partner's weim has Gunalt behind him as do one or two other Weim's on this site.

Was it them that were advertising this litter?
  16. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    No, I didn't mean that-I was just thinking that I couldn't imagine that a top kennel like Gunalt would charge as much as £1200 for a puppy as seems extortionate?
  17. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    No doubt they will sell, because of the rarity value.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
  18. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Ah right sorry, the way it was worded I wasn't sure if you mean't the litter advertised was a Gunalt litter. My misunderstanding, just re-read it and I clearly was half asleep first time round! :)
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Neither Patsy nor Steve would be breeding, selling or advertising Blue Weimaraners!! Of that I can assure you!
  20. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Resurrecting this thread as i've just seen a blue longhaired Weim for sale on a certain puppy website! 2 rarities occurring in one dog!

Also there is a mixed litter of blues and greys, with the blues being £300 more.

It piqued my interest so i've just done some researching on blues and found it to be very interesting reading. Especially with regards to the interpretation of colours and the word 'blue' being included in the old AKC standard.
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well we have just discovered a Newfoundland x Weimaraner litter for sale.

All of the clubs are noting all the litters that are being advertised especially where they are advertising them as blue and KC registering them as something else! ;)

All judges have been given information about the colour. The KC will register them as "colour not recognised" but in order to preserve the breed, we need to know who is breeding what with what for the future.

Unfortunately not ALL prospective owners are being told that blue is not a recognised colour; that NO Weimaraner can BE blue or that they will not be successful in the showring.

If prospective owners did their homework, they could avoid some potential issues in the future.

Had the Americans done what they should have done in the beginning, there would be no so called blues.