New french bulldog owner General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Ralphy the frenchie, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Ralphy the frenchie

Ralphy the frenchie New Member

Name:
    Marcus

New french bulldog owner

Hi all im a proud new french bulldog owner his names Ralphy hes 12 weeks old. I have a quick question on food and how much to feed them a day and what food would you recomend. Thanks :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello and welcome to Breedia to you and Ralphy from Tikva and me :039:

I am afraid that I cannot advise you about food as I am a raw feeder, but there are many more expert than I who will be able to help you. All I know is that at that age Ralphy will probable need three or four small meal a day.

Oh, and pictures please? It will be lovely to see our new puppy!
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Look at the recommended amount on the bag, divide by four and feed over the four meals. Keep an eye on weight. If he looks to be gaining too much weight, decrease the amount. Not enough weight going on, add more.

It's very much trial and error as each dog is different
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As @Chris B says, look at the recommended amount on the bag but feed your puppa slightly less, as from what I know the manufacturers do tend to advise more than the puppa needs. Four meals a day is what he needs but maybe not the what amount the bag says.

I always little but often, according to the puppa - and just look at them to see if they are gaining too much weight or not enough.

And make sure he has regular vet checks until he has had all of his necessary shots.
  6. Ralphy the frenchie

Name:
    Marcus
    Ok thanks both for your advice i wasnt sure on how much to feed him. His weight seems spot on for his age from what iv read. Ill go by the guidlines as you said and feed little and often and see how he gets on.
    Also at what age would you take him off pup food?

Hes just had his 2nd shot so he still cant go out for about a week so i was told
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When I used to feed kibble I kept my furkids on puppy food until they were approximately five months old and then changed them to adult food. But I can not give you any advice as I am now a raw feeder.

But at his age I think four meals a day - small meals so he does not put on too much weight - better too little than too much - and go by how he looks and feels.

Pictures please? :)
  8. Ralphy the frenchie

Name:
    Marcus
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Here he is i out a profile pic up of him not sure if its showing tho. Thanks Malka

Attached Files:

9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Very cute x
  10. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Hi and welcome.
    Just a quick question, did your breeder give you any idea what he was on when you got him, or a small amount of his food because I kept my little man on what i was given? Also I fed him 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and early evening, then at 9 months went down to 2 feeds a day, morning and evening, to which he used to sit and look at me with his big puppy dog eyes as if to say 'where is my dinner?' in the afternoon at first!
    Definitely watch his weight as it can sneak up on him/you, although dogs, like humans are all different in the case of size and shape. Mr B is 10kg at 15 months and my vet is very happy with his size.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Such a cute wubble - and absolutely adorable. :007:

Gareth @BronsonTheBulldog should be able to answer an queries you might have.
  12. Francesco_italian

Francesco_italian New Member

Name:
    Francesco
    Very nice and cute pup! Take care of him!
  13. Ralphy the frenchie

Name:
    Marcus
    Hi @BronsonTheBulldog i have done the same. I had a puppy pack with a big bag of pup food that they was already eating so i kept him on that. Ill just lower his intake to the same as your doing 3 times a day for now and see how he gets on. Thanks all for your help and thanks @Chris B, @Malka and @Francesco_italian
  14. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Hi guys new to the site and forum without sounding and making myself look silly can someone please explain why everyone seems to be saying feed 3 to 4 times a day i have a French bulldog who is now just under six months he came on wet food and was told to feed him twice a day, have now switched to a dry food and continuing with the twice a day but after reading this thread i am now worrying that i should be feeding him more
  15. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    As long as he's getting enough food it should be ok. I was feeding 3 times a day, small amounts, but then switched to twice after 9 months, but obviously more food as he got older.
  16. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Thanks for response greatly appreciated bought him from a friend who had a litter but obviosuly i didnt get the info i would of perhaps received from a proper breeder , but after having GSP's and never really being a fan of little dogs im in love lol
  17. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    They definitely are one of a kind characters, my little man can drive me mad sometimes, but I wouldn't change home for the world! He's like my shadow, wherever I go live, I can turn round, look down and guarantee he'll be there staring up at me and I just smile. No matter how bad things get I can always rely on the little man to make it all better.
  18. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Oh i know what you mean they are so gorgeous little things you cant stay mad for long at all , my nan usee to breed dogs for show not frenchies tho but am seriously considering doing my research for q couple of years and become a licensed breeder , i saw this little lady yesterday and fell in love instantly

Attached Files:

19. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    On another note have you had any problems with ear scratching he keeps scratching one ear to point he makes it bleed ive been using pomegranet extract to try help clear it up which it does bit a fre days later he is at it again the one ear is waxier than the other but not tp extent id say infection :/
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would let the vet see his ear. Scratching till it bleeds is not normal.
  21. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Oh my goodness, that is the cutest thing I've ever seen (since my little man anyway!) If I could, i'd have a massive farm house in the middle of nowhere with loads of dogs, rabbits and other animals...
    And as for ear scratching, yes unfortunately, lately it has been as bad as you've described, to the point of bleeding and the poor little man crying as he's doing it. Only thing I can think of for you to try is cotton wall balls after putting in ear drops and a snood/headband so he can't shake the liquid out as mine tends to do the last time I tried.
    On the subject of wax, I carefully use a wet wipe and my little finger to gently get into his ear canal get the wax and debris out, then a cue tip (or those little cotton buds on sticks depending where your from?) With another wet wipe wrapped around that to get into where the cartilage is, to make sure the hard to reach areas are done to. Hope someone of this helps? Bet yes as @CaroleC suggests, the vets is always he best option to get complete peace of mind and a professional opinion.