New Member with Portie Questions Questions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by DonJ, Nov 11, 2016.

1. DonJ

DonJ New Member

Name:
    Don

New Member with Portie Questions

New member but hope to participate often. We have a Portie mix, our vet says where we adopted Sophie. She has all the markings, traits and temperament of a purebred, so I'm not sure one way or the other. Questions:
    1. She is about 2 1/2 years old and weighs 55 lbs as of a month ago vet clinic. From all I read she is a little over weight. Is she? Any input on this, suggestions, questions are appreciated.
    2. We have a pool in our new (older) house and she wants nothing to do with getting in it. Maybe it's the terrier breed the vet talked about coming out in her Unusual? Suggestions, questions please. I'd love her to get in and swim with us. We live in north Texas so the swimming season is fairly long.

Thanks so much in advance for your response.
    DonJ
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hello Don, welcome to Breedia from Carole, Eddie and Merry the Beagles.
    I can't answer your Portie question, but can say that my Beags learned to enjoy being in water by initially paddling at the edge of ponds, and then gained the confidence to swim by having floating treats thrown a foot or two in front of their noses.
    I am sure that someone with specific breed knowledge will be along soon.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Jackie will be able to help you as she as a lovely handsome Portuguese water dog