New Member Introductions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Marine6212, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Marine6212

Marine6212 New Member

Name:
    Marine6212

Hello all,
    Thanks for letting me join the forum!! I am in the the process of looking at breeders for my first Belgian Malinois.

I have been watching YouTube videos and reading the internet for the last 6 most on this breed and watching a ton of training videos. We currently have a Chihuahua/terrier mix that is 15 years old and is the child we never had.

I'm interested in this breed for protection work for my wife and a general companion for her 5k/10k training runs. 20191224_201405.jpg 20200105_175853.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Quite a bit of current discussion about the Malinois breed. Hope it can add to your research.
  4. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    https://pin.it/p3x6zi63zh4oui
    This is what they want to do! If you don’t have experience handling them, they get out of control very easily. When a Mal gets out of control, it goes WAY OUT OF CONTROL!!!.....many end up euthanised.
    I know two Police K9 handlers with Malinois working dogs. They warn unexperienced owners to find a Mal expert to help both you and the dog. Actually, they don’t think an inexperienced trainer/owner should take the risk.
    I’ve got a wild German Shepherd. He’s tame compared to a Mal. You might think of a GSD and a good and kind trainer to work with.
    Good luck
  5. Marine6212

Marine6212 New Member

Name:
    Marine6212
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I pick up my Malinois November 23 2021, we have decided to name him Azrael. (Archangel Azrael is often referred to as 'The Angel of Death', which is a title that leaves some people feeling slightly nervous or apprehensive. In truth, Azrael is a kind, caring soul who simply wishes to guide us through life, including the journey between life and death.)
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Best wishes for the adventure with your new puppy. You have done your homework and I'm sure that you have the knowledge to raise a well balanced working dog. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Azrael's progress.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and Toedtoes like this.
    Don't let the new puppy overwhelm your little guy. He's had you all to himself for a long time and may not take kindly to a usurper coming in. Remember he needs his own space and time at his age so make sure you accommodate that.

Good luck with the new pup.
  8. Marine6212

Marine6212 New Member

Name:
    Marine6212
    I'm sad to say that we lost Angel last month after 18 years.

9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Helidale likes this.
    I am so sorry to read that you lost your little Angel - I was just going to post my best wishes on the new puppy when I read this. I hope that Azrael helps fill the little dog-shaped hole left in your heart by your loss. It is, indeed, a good name you have chosen for him.

Run free little Angel, run free as fast as you can xx
  10. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry to hear about Angel. CaroleC xx
  11. Marine6212

Marine6212 New Member

Name:
    Marine6212
    CaroleC likes this.
    19 mos. He has come along way.