"New" NI breed standard, anyone care to discuss, co my head is spinning!!

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Borderdawn, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn

"New" NI breed standard, anyone care to discuss, co my head is spinning!!

:101: :101: :101: :101: I have been directed to the "new" NI breed standard.

Genuine questions here, I truly am lost. To start with:

Pardon? Do they mean, ribs carried well back? I mean long would mean a VERY deep body which this standard says is unnaceptable.

:mrgreen: Classic, a spring of rib but they must also be flat!!!:mrgreen:

Please can somebody explain how a tail is carried "sickle" in movement but curly tails are not allowed, is a sickle tail not a curly tail?

Thats just one point, I doubt the NIS would allow me to discuss this on their forum, so I ask NI owners on here, which dog/s this is based on and how on earth has it been interpreted?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

No idea on most of it but 'sickle' is a gentle curve, a crescent shape, rather than a full, tight curl.
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I agree if these points are included in a breed standard it doesn't make a lot of sense, but then having no standard at all and just breeding 'a type' crossing some NI with other dogs as one group say they are doing doesn't make sense to me either ..
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Goodpoint.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree Mini but this isnt that group, this is supposed to be a "breed" yes?
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Goodpoint Dawn, at what point though is a breed standard created, surely there needs to be one at the start of a breed programme, so people know what they are aiming to achieve when breeding or considering it? Especially at the start, so straight away dogs that are too far out are not bred from.
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes of course Nes, but how can you "build" a breed on a standard that is completely unachievable? How can a dog function correctly with some of the construction mentioned in this standard. You cant have a spring of rib and then say they should be flat can you?

Take the head for instance, and no offence at all intended here, but your Shunka would appear to fit mainly what they are asking for, but Thunder is totally alien, which do you see as correct? Was this new standard based on dog/s?
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I agree Dawn it's not that group its another group :lol: one of many .
    Are the group which are going to cross some NI with other breeds (not sure what their dogs are called possibly NI lookalikes ) going to use a breed standard for the NI they are crossing or will any old NI look alike do ?

Sorry it has all become such a farce I can't take any of it seriously.
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I have no idea Mini, I would assume as they are crossbreeding there couldnt be a standard?
  11. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Oh I appreciate the group who are breeding 'a type' and not a breed won't have a standard because they won't have a breed will they so they don't need one . But I wondered if the NIs they are using to cross with other dogs to make 'a type' not a breed will be NI that are trying to comply with the new standard, or will they just be a type of NI :grin:
  12. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Anything about health testing as surely thats to do with standards?
  13. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Tell you what I would not wish to judge from it, the loin alone would throw me, the words used are the same as that in the N. Elkhound standard and yet any dog of this type I have seen has a loin similar to the GSD although in some the croup is more level but that has more to do with the way they are stood and the non existence of angulation in many a hind quarter.

Seems to me a blue print to utter confusion.

To be fair to write a standard for something that does not exist must be difficult but one would think that the job should have been undertaken by someone who understood canine anatomy. After all, if it is a wolf they want then why not describe the wolf, they are of course all different but you could pick the one you wanted and describe that, difficult, of course, unless you can find someone who owns a healthy well constructed one and will let you get your hands on it. Not read the standard only those bits that people have picked out but it would seem they are aiming for the impossible animal.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  14. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Health is only mentioned in the standard in passing, it instructs the judge not to ignore any departure from the standard which may have an effect on the dogs health and welfare.

Detailed matters of health are usually in the hands of the breed clubs and the KC working in unison with the small animal veterinary universities and their members are kept informed and required to follow their recommendations. The problem is no one can be forced to join a breed club and if they do they can't be forced to follow the recommendations the only penalty being that they will be removed from the club.

People who breed for themselves or their bank balance will not be deterred from doing as they wish because the KC or the club asks them to, as in all walks of live there will be those who are keen to do their best and those who will do their best for themselves.

For any decisions of a club to stand any chance of success the membership has to respect the committee of the club, in this particularly case that is not so and perhaps that is what they should be working on first the details of the type can be sorted later, respect and health should come first.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree entirely Jackie, its not possible to have a functioning animal from what has been written. It needed people who have conformation skills to write it, because anyone reading it will be totally gobsmacked as I was. Id like to know if it was drawn up by such people and who they were and if it was based upon actual dogs?

One thing is for sure, I have never seen a dog that will comply to it and most of the NI's I have seen on here are way way off the mark!
  16. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    BD , how would you have written a standard for the N.I , You had been asked to help so surely you mustv'e had a good think on how a to type N.I 's breed standard must sound / read...I would be genuinely interested to know what you would have written ?
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    :shock: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :shock:

yet another NI classic...the mind boggles as to what these dog will look like.

ETA: sorry I know this thread is ment to be serious,....But how can you take that seriously
  18. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Is anyone any good at drawing or photoshopping??

Can someone make a picture to go with this standard??

I want to see what an NI should look like
  19. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    KC Siberian Husky standard

Tail
    Well furred or round fox brush shape set on just below level of topline and usually carried over back in a graceful sickle curve when dog at attention. When carried up, tail should not curl too tightly, nor should it curl to either side of body, or snap flat against back. hair on tail of medium length and approximately same length all round. A trailing tail is normal for dog when working or in repose.

Now you know where they got the sickle from LOL They cant even think up their own breed standard. There also seems alot missing form that standard, what about characterstics? Temperament?

Gemmsie
  20. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I do not know who devised the BS in question, which club etc but regardless, IMHO I think Pita touched upon something, terminology.....I do think that if I were devising a BS, I would select the dog I thought matched my idea of the perfect....whatever breed and get someone in the know ref relevant terminlogy etc to assist me and have the breed standard written from there.
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi Elaine.
    I was NEVER "writing" the standard, I was ask to help word it correctly, something I agreed to do, but nothing came of it. If a dog was put in front of me and I was asked to describe it, given was has now been written, I think Id have to of scraped it up off the floor first!!:shock:
    Well its on the NIS forum, so I guess they did!

Do you agree Nes, that dogs such as Sacha and your Thunder are now being seen as incorrect? Im not trying to pick up on individual dogs, but having seen yours and Janes on here Im just using them as a comparison, please dont read into that. :)